Ouch. AA erroneously gave some EPs extra systemwide upgrades
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There was some buzz this morning in The Points Guy newsroom, after reports surfaced of extra systemwide upgrade certificates being deposited in the accounts of some American Airlines Executive Platinum members. JonNYC tweeted about SWU’s being deposited into some lucky member’s accounts. Unfortunately the news was too good to be true.
AA confirms to TPG it was a mistake.
“American Airlines experienced a system error that incorrectly awarded a small number of AAdvantage members additional systemwide upgrades on December 31, 2019. This has now been resolved and all affected accounts have been returned to normal. We apologize to our customers for the inconvenience.”
There was reason to be hopeful though as there’s been some pleasant surprises for some folks courtesy of American Airlines including top tier members of Hyatt – Globalists – being gifted American Airlines Executive Platinum status including those 4 super valuable systemwide upgrade certs.
And it comes after American Airlines made it official that folks who flew above and beyond the requirements for EP status, would be gifted additional SWUs for every 50,000 miles they flew beyond that threshold.
At least those folks still get four to use. Here’s TPG’s complete guide.
Featured image by JT Genter/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees