An Oregon Tourist Survived 7 Days After Driving Over California Cliff
A couple on a camping trip in Southern California found an Oregon woman who had been missing for seven days after accidentally driving off a cliff.
The couple, Chelsea and Chad Moore, were on a hike on the cliffs of Big Sur on Friday when they noticed a car at the bottom of one of the cliffs. The Moores noted the license plate number of the white Jeep at the foot of a 200-foot cliff and reported it to the authorities.
Shortly after, the two tourists found the car’s owner, Angela Hernandez, 23, who was injured but in stable condition on a beach at the bottom of the cliff. Hernandez had last been seen on July 6. She was on a road trip driving from Portland to Southern California. Chad Moore stayed with Hernandez while Chelsea ran back their campsite to call 911. First responders were able to get Hernandez up to the road and in an ambulance before being transported via helicopter to a nearby hospital.
In order to survive, Hernandez said she used a radiator hose from her car to gather water from a nearby stream.
Hernandez had been driving on California’s winding State Route 1 near Big Sur when she swerved to avoid an animal in the road and lost control of her car, flying over the cliff. California’s State Route 1 is also known in parts as the Pacific Coast Highway — an expansive and winding route that follows the entirety of California’s coastline. It’s popular with tourists for its views of the state’s cliffs and beaches.
H/T: The Sacramento Bee
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees