An Oregon Tourist Survived 7 Days After Driving Over California Cliff
A couple on a camping trip in Southern California found an Oregon woman who had been missing for seven days after accidentally driving off a cliff.
The couple, Chelsea and Chad Moore, were on a hike on the cliffs of Big Sur on Friday when they noticed a car at the bottom of one of the cliffs. The Moores noted the license plate number of the white Jeep at the foot of a 200-foot cliff and reported it to the authorities.
Shortly after, the two tourists found the car’s owner, Angela Hernandez, 23, who was injured but in stable condition on a beach at the bottom of the cliff. Hernandez had last been seen on July 6. She was on a road trip driving from Portland to Southern California. Chad Moore stayed with Hernandez while Chelsea ran back their campsite to call 911. First responders were able to get Hernandez up to the road and in an ambulance before being transported via helicopter to a nearby hospital.
In order to survive, Hernandez said she used a radiator hose from her car to gather water from a nearby stream.
Hernandez had been driving on California’s winding State Route 1 near Big Sur when she swerved to avoid an animal in the road and lost control of her car, flying over the cliff. California’s State Route 1 is also known in parts as the Pacific Coast Highway — an expansive and winding route that follows the entirety of California’s coastline. It’s popular with tourists for its views of the state’s cliffs and beaches.
H/T: The Sacramento Bee
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.