An Oregon Tourist Survived 7 Days After Driving Over California Cliff
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A couple on a camping trip in Southern California found an Oregon woman who had been missing for seven days after accidentally driving off a cliff.
The couple, Chelsea and Chad Moore, were on a hike on the cliffs of Big Sur on Friday when they noticed a car at the bottom of one of the cliffs. The Moores noted the license plate number of the white Jeep at the foot of a 200-foot cliff and reported it to the authorities.
Shortly after, the two tourists found the car’s owner, Angela Hernandez, 23, who was injured but in stable condition on a beach at the bottom of the cliff. Hernandez had last been seen on July 6. She was on a road trip driving from Portland to Southern California. Chad Moore stayed with Hernandez while Chelsea ran back their campsite to call 911. First responders were able to get Hernandez up to the road and in an ambulance before being transported via helicopter to a nearby hospital.
In order to survive, Hernandez said she used a radiator hose from her car to gather water from a nearby stream.
Hernandez had been driving on California’s winding State Route 1 near Big Sur when she swerved to avoid an animal in the road and lost control of her car, flying over the cliff. California’s State Route 1 is also known in parts as the Pacific Coast Highway — an expansive and winding route that follows the entirety of California’s coastline. It’s popular with tourists for its views of the state’s cliffs and beaches.
H/T: The Sacramento Bee
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees