This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A couple on a camping trip in Southern California found an Oregon woman who had been missing for seven days after accidentally driving off a cliff.
The couple, Chelsea and Chad Moore, were on a hike on the cliffs of Big Sur on Friday when they noticed a car at the bottom of one of the cliffs. The Moores noted the license plate number of the white Jeep at the foot of a 200-foot cliff and reported it to the authorities.
Shortly after, the two tourists found the car’s owner, Angela Hernandez, 23, who was injured but in stable condition on a beach at the bottom of the cliff. Hernandez had last been seen on July 6. She was on a road trip driving from Portland to Southern California. Chad Moore stayed with Hernandez while Chelsea ran back their campsite to call 911. First responders were able to get Hernandez up to the road and in an ambulance before being transported via helicopter to a nearby hospital.
In order to survive, Hernandez said she used a radiator hose from her car to gather water from a nearby stream.
Hernandez had been driving on California’s winding State Route 1 near Big Sur when she swerved to avoid an animal in the road and lost control of her car, flying over the cliff. California’s State Route 1 is also known in parts as the Pacific Coast Highway — an expansive and winding route that follows the entirety of California’s coastline. It’s popular with tourists for its views of the state’s cliffs and beaches.
H/T: The Sacramento Bee
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees