This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New tax codes got you down? Orbitz.com will refund any taxes you spend when you book a trip on Tax Day.
Though the IRS claims tax refunds are at normal levels this year, a recent survey by Orbitz indicates that 70% of taxpayers believe they’ll see less of a refund. And for people who rely on their tax refunds to pay for a trip, smaller refunds could mean the difference between taking a summer vacation and staying home.
“This tax season has been a tough one, with nearly 20% of taxpayers telling us they don’t expect to see a refund at all this year due to tax reform changes,” Carey Malloy, director of brand and marketing at Orbitz, said in a statement. “Travel plans can be one of the first expenditures cut when people start to feel the pinch, so we’re hoping to help people unwind from the stress of the season and still knock something off their bucket list.”
That’s why Orbitz is offering its first-ever tax refund promotion. Book any hotel or hotel and flight package on Tax Day (April 15) and Orbitz will match the taxes and fees in Orbucks (up to $250) that you can use on a future trip. There is no limit on trip length, but note that any taxes and fees paid for at the destination (you know, like those pesky resort fees) are not covered by the promotion.
Depending on where you book a trip, this could add up to serious savings, since taxes could add on an extra 15 to 25% of the total cost of the trip. According to Orbitz’s report on taxes and fees data, the destinations on Orbitz.com with the highest taxes and fees are the Cayman Islands, Bermuda, Sri Lanka, Cambodia and Turks and Caicos.
To take advantage of this deal, make sure to register for Orbitz Rewards then go to Orbitz.com/taxday to book. The terms and conditions stipulate that Tax Day Orbucks will be deposited into your Orbitz Rewards account within approximately 48 hours of booking, and expire if not redeemed within 60 days of issuance.
For more on Tax Day, read up on How to Use Your Tax Refund for Travel.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards