Orbitz Will Refund Taxes on Hotels and Flights Booked on Tax Day
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New tax codes got you down? Orbitz.com will refund any taxes you spend when you book a trip on Tax Day.
Though the IRS claims tax refunds are at normal levels this year, a recent survey by Orbitz indicates that 70% of taxpayers believe they’ll see less of a refund. And for people who rely on their tax refunds to pay for a trip, smaller refunds could mean the difference between taking a summer vacation and staying home.
“This tax season has been a tough one, with nearly 20% of taxpayers telling us they don’t expect to see a refund at all this year due to tax reform changes,” Carey Malloy, director of brand and marketing at Orbitz, said in a statement. “Travel plans can be one of the first expenditures cut when people start to feel the pinch, so we’re hoping to help people unwind from the stress of the season and still knock something off their bucket list.”
That’s why Orbitz is offering its first-ever tax refund promotion. Book any hotel or hotel and flight package on Tax Day (April 15) and Orbitz will match the taxes and fees in Orbucks (up to $250) that you can use on a future trip. There is no limit on trip length, but note that any taxes and fees paid for at the destination (you know, like those pesky resort fees) are not covered by the promotion.
Depending on where you book a trip, this could add up to serious savings, since taxes could add on an extra 15 to 25% of the total cost of the trip. According to Orbitz’s report on taxes and fees data, the destinations on Orbitz.com with the highest taxes and fees are the Cayman Islands, Bermuda, Sri Lanka, Cambodia and Turks and Caicos.
To take advantage of this deal, make sure to register for Orbitz Rewards then go to Orbitz.com/taxday to book. The terms and conditions stipulate that Tax Day Orbucks will be deposited into your Orbitz Rewards account within approximately 48 hours of booking, and expire if not redeemed within 60 days of issuance.
For more on Tax Day, read up on How to Use Your Tax Refund for Travel.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.