Orbitz Will Refund Taxes on Hotels and Flights Booked on Tax Day
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New tax codes got you down? Orbitz.com will refund any taxes you spend when you book a trip on Tax Day.
Though the IRS claims tax refunds are at normal levels this year, a recent survey by Orbitz indicates that 70% of taxpayers believe they’ll see less of a refund. And for people who rely on their tax refunds to pay for a trip, smaller refunds could mean the difference between taking a summer vacation and staying home.
“This tax season has been a tough one, with nearly 20% of taxpayers telling us they don’t expect to see a refund at all this year due to tax reform changes,” Carey Malloy, director of brand and marketing at Orbitz, said in a statement. “Travel plans can be one of the first expenditures cut when people start to feel the pinch, so we’re hoping to help people unwind from the stress of the season and still knock something off their bucket list.”
That’s why Orbitz is offering its first-ever tax refund promotion. Book any hotel or hotel and flight package on Tax Day (April 15) and Orbitz will match the taxes and fees in Orbucks (up to $250) that you can use on a future trip. There is no limit on trip length, but note that any taxes and fees paid for at the destination (you know, like those pesky resort fees) are not covered by the promotion.
Depending on where you book a trip, this could add up to serious savings, since taxes could add on an extra 15 to 25% of the total cost of the trip. According to Orbitz’s report on taxes and fees data, the destinations on Orbitz.com with the highest taxes and fees are the Cayman Islands, Bermuda, Sri Lanka, Cambodia and Turks and Caicos.
To take advantage of this deal, make sure to register for Orbitz Rewards then go to Orbitz.com/taxday to book. The terms and conditions stipulate that Tax Day Orbucks will be deposited into your Orbitz Rewards account within approximately 48 hours of booking, and expire if not redeemed within 60 days of issuance.
For more on Tax Day, read up on How to Use Your Tax Refund for Travel.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees