Only in Canada: Calgary Has 2 Airport Moose
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The most Canadian thing happened at Calgary International Airport (YYC) this week.
Two moose showed up to a grassy area at the airport and settled down there, grazing and walking around just outside the airfield, drawing a significant amount of attention. According to Louis Simoni, who works at the airport, the moose have been “quite the celebrities around here the last three days.”
Locals are even heading to the airport just to catch a glimpse of the moose — not even flights.
Now, the pair of moose — a female and her calf — are being monitored by airport officials to ensure their safety and the safety of the public. TPG has seen many consequences of people approaching wild animals too closely, which is exactly what Calgary is trying to prevent. Recently, several people were injured by animals at Yellowstone because of their proximity to the park’s wild animals. (intentionally or not).
To combat this potential issue, the environmental specialist at the airport, Gary Kindrat, said that they’re “just making sure that people aren’t approaching the animals and scaring them into doing something that perhaps may not be a good thing.” Plus, they’re not planning on interfering with the moose unless they approach the landing strip or runway, in which case they would be herded away.
H/T: CTV News
Featured image by JEAN-CHRISTOPHE VERHAEGEN/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees