The Wait Continues: Oneworld Alliance Yet to Announce First Standalone Lounge
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Despite expectations that Oneworld Alliance would announce its first standalone lounge at this year’s International Air Transport Association (IATA) Annual General Meeting, which took place this week in Seoul, South Korea, CEO Rob Gurney has yet to confirm any details.
In an interview with Australian Business Traveller, Gurney remained vague about progress: “We certainly will have concluded our first lounge this year, whether it will actually be opened and operational depends on the location, whether it’s a new build or whether it’s a modification of an existing build.”
In addition to a lack of opening date, the airline alliance has yet to say where the first lounge will be located. For now, it is looking at locations where individual airlines don’t have a huge presence, according to Gurney. “The idea is that we develop these where no single airline has a massive presence, but we have multiple airlines flying into the same airport, maybe with daily flight. So while collectivity we (as Oneworld) have a lot of flights, no single airline could justify the cost of the lounge.”
Gurney says he thinks there are between 15 and 30 such locations that could fit what the alliance is looking for around the world, though some of them are a long ways off, based on terminal development and construction. Meanwhile, competitors Star Alliance and SkyTeam have managed to open and operate numerous lounges worldwide.
At this rate, we might have to wait until the 2020 summit to find out more.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Katie Genter/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees