One Giant Leap for Mankind Lands on the Washington Monument for Apollo 11 Anniversary
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum will mark the 50th anniversary of Neil Armstrong’s famous walk on the Moon with a projection of the Saturn V rocket that got him there on the Washington Monument.
The 363-foot tall rocket will be projected on the east face of the monument from 9:30-11:30pm for three nights, July 16-18, the museum says.
The projection will be accompanied by the 17-minute “Apollo 11: Go for the Moon” show recreating the launch of Apollo 11 and first Moon landing. The show will air every hour from 9:30-11:30pm on July 19 and 20.
A viewing area for the show will be set up on the National Mall in front of the Smithsonian Castle between 9th Street and 12th Street NW.
Armstrong was the first human on the Moon, landing during the Apollo 11 mission on July 20, 1969.
The show is part of a larger celebration of the Moon landing. The Apollo 50 festival will take place between 4th Street and 7th Street NW on the Mall from July 18-20, as well as statues of Neil Armstrong’s spacesuit at 15 ballparks around the US, and a virtual Race to the Moon.
Featured image courtesy of the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.