One Giant Leap for Mankind Lands on the Washington Monument for Apollo 11 Anniversary
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum will mark the 50th anniversary of Neil Armstrong’s famous walk on the Moon with a projection of the Saturn V rocket that got him there on the Washington Monument.
The 363-foot tall rocket will be projected on the east face of the monument from 9:30-11:30pm for three nights, July 16-18, the museum says.
The projection will be accompanied by the 17-minute “Apollo 11: Go for the Moon” show recreating the launch of Apollo 11 and first Moon landing. The show will air every hour from 9:30-11:30pm on July 19 and 20.
A viewing area for the show will be set up on the National Mall in front of the Smithsonian Castle between 9th Street and 12th Street NW.
Armstrong was the first human on the Moon, landing during the Apollo 11 mission on July 20, 1969.
The show is part of a larger celebration of the Moon landing. The Apollo 50 festival will take place between 4th Street and 7th Street NW on the Mall from July 18-20, as well as statues of Neil Armstrong’s spacesuit at 15 ballparks around the US, and a virtual Race to the Moon.
Featured image courtesy of the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees