Omni to leave the Discovery loyalty program and it’s going to hurt
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Omni Hotels and Resorts has maintained a partnership with the Global Hotel Alliance (GHA) and its Discovery loyalty program for quite some time.
However, the chain has recently shared that it will part ways with both GHA and Discovery come June 30, 2021. According to Peter Strebel, president, Omni Hotels and Resorts, the move was made “with the goal of focusing on the evolution of [its] Select Guest program and [its] internal Omni customers.”
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
GHA’s Discovery program encompasses more than 570 hotels representing 35+ independent luxury brands across the globe. While Omni Select Guest and GHA Discovery are not the same program, they’ve been intertwined with each other. That’s allowed Omni elite members to match their status to Discovery (the two programs currently have the same status tiers) and take advantage of benefits.
Omni’s membership updates page explains what members can expect once the two programs go their separate ways in June. Here are the most important points:
- Omni Select Guest members will stop receiving reciprocal benefits at properties affiliated with the Discovery program
- While log-in credentials for discoveryloyalty.com will expire on June 30, anyone can register separately for the Discovery program, and Select Guest members who have stayed at a Discovery property will see their membership in the program continue automatically
- After June 30, stays at GHA properties will not count toward Select Guest status qualification progress
- Local Experience Awards will no longer be offered at Omni properties after June 30
- Anyone with an unused Local Experience Award will be able to continue to use them at participating Discovery properties
Likely the biggest impact of this split of the two programs will be the inability to use Local Experience Awards at Omni properties.
As TPG’s Richard Kerr has written about before, the most valuable perk available to Platinum and Black members in the Discovery program is the ability to earn Local Experience Awards, which can be redeemed for property-specific excursions, meals or property credits. And many times, these experiences represent a tremendous value, depending on where you are and what you pick specifically.
While Omni doesn’t have a particularly expansive property portfolio, the properties it does have are high quality and in top destinations around the country, so this change will hurt any traveler that’s been able to leverage the perk on past Omni stays.
Omni Select Guest members shouldn’t notice any interruption to their membership within the program, though come June 30, members will no longer earn or receive benefits at Discovery properties, unless they decide to continue in that program separately.
The most disappointing change resulting from the dissolution of this relationship is that Local Experience Awards will no longer be offered at Omni properties. We hope that as Omni begins to evolve its own loyalty program, it’s cognizant of the tremendous value these awards provide to guests and develop something that matches — or surpasses — that offering.
Featured image courtesy of Omni Mount Washington Resort
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.