Number of Suspected Ebola Cases in Congo Grows to 42
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The number of suspected cases of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of the Congo grew to 42, shortly after healthcare officials confirmed the new outbreak’s first two infections last week.
The outbreak was confirmed in the town of Bikoro by the World Health Organization (WHO) and Congo’s Health Ministry.
At least 19 people have already died of suspected Ebola infections in Bikoro in the past five weeks the WHO said Monday, according to Bloomberg. The source of the outbreak has not yet been determined by healthcare officials. At least two patients confirmed to be positive for the virus are still alive in the region.
Congo is awaiting the arrival of 4,000 doses of an experimental Ebola vaccine, which will be shipped as soon as adequate travel logistics can be arranged to keep the shipment sufficiently cold in order to preserve the vaccines.
In the wake of this new outbreak, the WHO has set up its Incident Management System, sending more than 50 health experts and resources to Congo to further investigate the new spread of the virus. The health agency is also releasing $1 million from its Contingency Fund for Emergencies in an effort to stop Ebola from spreading to nearby areas and countries.
In 2014, a particularly deadly Ebola outbreak in West Africa claimed the lives of more than 11,000 victims.
Featured image by KATHY KATAYI/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees