Number of Suspected Ebola Cases in Congo Grows to 42
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The number of suspected cases of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of the Congo grew to 42, shortly after healthcare officials confirmed the new outbreak’s first two infections last week.
The outbreak was confirmed in the town of Bikoro by the World Health Organization (WHO) and Congo’s Health Ministry.
At least 19 people have already died of suspected Ebola infections in Bikoro in the past five weeks the WHO said Monday, according to Bloomberg. The source of the outbreak has not yet been determined by healthcare officials. At least two patients confirmed to be positive for the virus are still alive in the region.
Congo is awaiting the arrival of 4,000 doses of an experimental Ebola vaccine, which will be shipped as soon as adequate travel logistics can be arranged to keep the shipment sufficiently cold in order to preserve the vaccines.
In the wake of this new outbreak, the WHO has set up its Incident Management System, sending more than 50 health experts and resources to Congo to further investigate the new spread of the virus. The health agency is also releasing $1 million from its Contingency Fund for Emergencies in an effort to stop Ebola from spreading to nearby areas and countries.
In 2014, a particularly deadly Ebola outbreak in West Africa claimed the lives of more than 11,000 victims.
Featured image by KATHY KATAYI/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.