See Norwegian’s New Slimline Seats on Its 737 MAX 8
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A year after Norwegian launched transatlantic flights from small regional airports on the US’ East Coast to Europe, the airline has taken delivery of Boeing 737 MAX 8s with new slimline seats that it will use on the same routes.
According to a press release, Norwegian will take delivery of 12, 737 MAX 8s this year with the new seat. According to Economy Class and Beyond, the first aircraft with the new seats is registered EI-FYG. FlightRadar24 shows that it’s been operating in Europe since late May.
The seat, a Recaro BL3710C, is 17.2″ wide and has 30″ of pitch on the MAX. The MAX will replace Norwegian’s 737-800s which are currently used on some of the transatlantic routes. The new seats will replace an older model that, according to SeatGuru, has 29″ to 31″ of pitch. Note that the seats in the front row with fixed armrests will only be 16.8″ wide.
There are currently 189 seats on the MAX, arranged in a 3-3 configuration — three more than on the -800. The new MAXs will keep the same seat count and layout. Norwegian is billing the new seats as a boon for tall travelers, claiming the slimline design offers more legroom at knee level than the older model.
Although Norwegian claims they are the first customer of the BL3710, the seats appear to already be installed on SAS’ A320neo. In parallel with the MAXs fuel efficiency, these seats are about two pounds lighter and will reduce the overall aircraft weight by more than 440 pounds.
Norwegian currently has 100 MAX 8s on order and uses the aircraft to fly from New York Stewart (SWF) and Providence, Rhode Island (PVD) to destinations in Ireland and the United Kingdom.
Norwegian spokesman Anders Lindström told Runway Girl Network that new seats should have been installed on the six MAXs that were delivered in 2017, but delivery was “delayed” — those six aircraft will be retrofitted with the new configuration, too.
Featured image courtesy of Norwegian.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees