Norwegian Is Launching 6 New Routes in Argentina
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Low-cost carrier Norwegian is expanding in South America yet again.
The budget airline established new routes in Brazil early this year, and on Thursday, it announced six new domestic routes out of Buenos Aires that will be operated by its subsidiary Norwegian Air Argentina beginning in mid-October. The flights will be the first ever operated by the carrier’s Argentine subsidiary, a venture that was first announced back in 2017.
The new cities served from Buenos Aires will be Córdoba (COR), Mendoza (MDZ), Iguazú (IGR), Neuquén (NQN), Bariloche (BRC) and Salta (SLA).
NAA said the first flights will begin out of Buenos Aires’ Aeroparque Jorge Newbery (AEP), the airport closest to the city’s center, to Córdoba (COR) and Mendoza (MDZ) beginning Oct. 16. Tickets are now on sale. The other cities, along with the other two Buenos Aires’ airports (EZE) and (EPA), will quickly follow after that.
All six routes will be flown on a Boeing 737-800 NG aircraft, which will have 189 seats in a 3-3 configuration in a single cabin.
Norwegian CEO Bjørn Kjos has said that the airline has been doubling down on its South America expansion in 2018. “We serve a lot of places in the US and in Europe, but South America is our focus in 2018,” Kjos said in March. “There are other countries with priority in South American that are not well served.”
Regarding the new routes, Kjos alluded to the fact that this is just the beginning of the low-cost carrier’s plans for Argentina.
“The imminent start of our operations confirms the long-term interest and commitment we have in Argentina,” Kjos said. “Supported by our global vision of offering low rates for all, our [NAA] flights will help improve connectivity in the country, encourage local tourism and attract more tourists from abroad, causing a direct and indirect impact on job creation.”
Norwegian has rapidly been growing its route network in the US, Europe and South America. In February, it launched a nonstop route from London Gatwick (LGW) to Buenos Aires (EZE) — its first flight to South America.
The airline got approval from the Argentine government to operate domestic flights within the country in September 2017. Norwegian also received authorization from the Argentine government to operate flights from Argentina to 13 Brazilian cities in December 2016. In December 2017, it received approval from the Argentine officials to operate up to 72 domestic and as many as 80 international routes, so this is likely far from the last new route announcement from Norwegian Air Argentina.
H/T: Air Transport World
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.