Norwegian Postpones Launch of Service in Canada Due to 737 Delivery Delays
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The rapidly growing low-cost carrier Norwegian Air announced on Tuesday that it’s being forced to delay the launch of its operations between Canada and Europe because of delivery delays with Boeing 737 MAX aircraft.
Norwegian had originally planned to launch service between the two regions from July 23, 2018, after getting the authorization to begin ticket sales last month. However, given the delays in 737 MAX aircraft, services are now not set to begin until spring 2019. Specifically, the delays of two of its 737 MAX aircraft by about four weeks affected the carrier.
“We got a slight delay, not much, but it gave us a month shorter pre-sale period,” Norwegian CEO Bjorn Kjos said. He added that the delivery delays come from issues with the aircraft’s GE engines, which have caused deliveries for both MAX and A320neos to be delayed by about a month.
MAX delays for Norwegian are nothing new. Last summer, the carrier hit delays in deliveries of its new 737 MAX, which affected some of its routes. Currently, it has six MAX aircraft in its fleet and is due to get another 12 this year — not one of which has yet been delivered.
The 737 MAX is at the core of Norwegian’s expansion plans, including in the Canadian market. While it operates a Dreamliner on some of its longer-haul, higher-density transatlantic routes, it relies on the 737 MAX to operate out of smaller markets on some transatlantic routes.
The carrier is also set to take delivery of 30 A321neos beginning in 2019, which will help to supplement its growth.
This delay in deliveries for Norwegian comes on the same day that Boeing reported its deliveries are up 9% year-over-year in the first quarter of 2018, thanks in large part to the high 737 demand.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees