Norwegian Cruise Line reverses course on key loyalty program change
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
That sure didn’t last long.
Norwegian Cruise Line has reversed course on two key changes to its Latitudes Rewards loyalty program that it just made on Monday: The removal of a priority check-in perk and the removal of a priority embarkation perk for top-tier members of the program.
Norwegian didn’t announce the change, but as of Friday the perks had reappeared in the Latitudes Rewards area of Norwegian’s website. A Norwegian spokesperson Friday confirmed in an email to The Points Guy that the perks had been restored and said the reversal took place on Tuesday — just a day after the original change was announced.
For more cruise guides, tips and news, sign up for TPG’s cruise newsletter
The world’s fourth largest cruise operator has restored the priority check-in and embarkation perks for Latitudes Rewards members at the Platinum level and above.
The Platinum level is the fourth of seven levels in the revamped Latitudes Rewards program.
The priority check-in perk still will not be available for Bronze, Silver and Gold members of the program. All of those levels had priority check-in benefits under the old Latitudes Rewards program that was in effect until Monday.
The priority embarkation perk previously was available only to Platinum level and above members.
The priority check-in perk gives eligible members a special line to use during the check-in process at the pier at the start of a cruise. The priority embarkation perk lets eligible members board their ship ahead of others on the first day of their cruise.
The removal of the priority check-in and priority embarkation perks were the only changes to the program announced Monday that drew notable criticism at Norwegian fan pages on Facebook and on other social media sites.
Overall, Norwegian fans seemed excited about the changes to the Latitudes Rewards program, which included a reduction in the number of points it takes to reach most of the program’s tier levels.
The overhaul of the Latitudes Rewards program also brought several new perks for higher-tier members including a new complimentary wine tasting at the Platinum level, and a complimentary mixology experience and a one-time free cabin upgrade at the Diamond level.
One perk that remains gone from the program is the free bottle of sparkling wine that passengers at all tiers of the program starting with the Bronze level would receive in their cabins.
Many Norwegian fans on social media sites this week have noted that they can live without the free Champagne, which many say they never ended up drinking.
Planning a cruise? Start with these stories:
- A beginners guide to picking a cruise line
- The 5 most desirable cabin locations on any cruise ship
- The 8 worst cabin locations on any cruise ship
- A quick guide to the most popular cruise lines
- 21 tips and tricks that will make your cruise go smoothly
- 15 ways cruisers waste money
- What to pack for your first cruise
Featured photo of courtesy of Norwegian Cruise Line.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees