Norwegian Expands Its Presence Out of Boston With 2 New Routes to Europe
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Norwegian is expanding yet again. The low-cost carrier, famed for its international expansion connecting the US to Europe, announced on Wednesday that it’s adding new new nonstop routes out of Boston (BOS). In addition, Norwegian’s announced that it’ll be relocating its London operations to the larger airport in two US metropolitan areas.
Beginning March 31, 2018, Norwegian’s operation between Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and London (LGW) will move 21 miles to Miami International Airport (MIA). In addition, its operation between Oakland International Airport (OAK) and London (LGW) will switch to nearby San Francisco International Airport (SFO).
In addition to the airport moves, Norwegian also announced that its expanding its presence out of Boston (BOS) with the following two new routes:
- Boston (BOS) to Rome (FCO) — beginning March 31, 2019, operating 4x weekly
- Boston (BOS) to Madrid (MAD) — beginning May 2, 2019, with 3x weekly service
Both of the new routes will operate only during the summer season. Norwegian already operates nonstop service from BOS to Paris (CDG) and London (LGW).
The new routes aren’t yet on sale as of time of writing, but Norwegian says that BOS-FCO will start at $300 one-way in economy and $780 one-way in Premium. The BOS-MAD route will launch with fares starting at $200 one-way in economy and $640 one-way in Premium. You can read reviews of Norwegian’s Premium cabin here, and of its economy cabin here.
Finally, as part of Wednesday’s announcement, Norwegian is doing something it hasn’t done in quite some time. While we’ve typically seen Norwegian suspend service on many routes — like from Newburgh (SWF) to Edinburgh (EDI) and Belfast (BFS) — Norwegian is adding frequencies on the following routes for its summer 2019 schedule:
-Denver (DEN) to Paris (CDG) — 2x weekly ⇒ 3x weekly
-Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Paris (CDG) — 2x weekly ⇒ 3x weekly
-Los Angeles (LAX) to Paris (CDG) — 6x weekly ⇒ daily
-Los Angeles (LAX) to Madrid (MAD) — 3x weekly ⇒ 4x weekly
-Los Angeles (LAX) to Rome (FCO) — 3x weekly ⇒ 4x weekly
-New York (JFK) to Madrid (MAD) — 4x weekly ⇒ daily
-Oakland (OAK) to Rome (FCO) — 2x weekly ⇒ 3x weekly
-Orlando (MCO) to Paris (CDG) — 1x weekly ⇒ 2x weekly
At the forefront of Norwegian’s struggles recently have been engine issues with its Boeing Dreamliner aircraft, as well as increasing fuel costs, which have directly hit Norwegian’s bottom line of low fares. The carrier’s expansion announcement on Wednesday shows that operations — and demand — could be on the rise at least for the time being.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees