Free Hotel Smartphone Rental Finally Lands in the US
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For years, hotels throughout Asia, Europe and other regions have offered smartphones to their guests to use free of charge for the duration of their stay.
The service, provided by a company called Handy, includes an Android handset loaded up with popular apps and support for free international phone calls, mobile data and even room-to-room calling. Hotels, not guests, pay $1 per device per day.
Handy is apparently available in roughly 650,000 hotel rooms in 82 countries around the world, so I was surprised to learn that hotels in the United States hadn’t yet offered the service. That changed just this week — the NoMo SoHo Hotel in New York City is the first property to hand out Handy smartphones in the US.
According to the hotel, these particular devices include the following:
- Free voice calling to Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Israel, Italy, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Spain and the UK
- Free data plan
- A one-time New York City phone number and personal extension
- Connectivity to the hotel and direct dial to hotel services anytime, anywhere
- Pre-loaded with emergency contacts and essential travel information to make travel hassle-free
- A complete listing of NoMo SoHo’s discounts and promotions at neighborhood retailers and service providers
- Access to LUXOS, a local luxury lifestyle and travel guide that allows travelers to discover new experiences
- Ability to download apps, import contacts and upload photos
- Connections to social media accounts, web browsers and maps/directions
- All personal data is auto-erased upon check-out
I haven’t stayed at the NoMo SoHo myself, but the property appears to be decently popular on TripAdvisor — it’s currently ranked #269 of 479 hotels in New York City, with an average rating of 4.0. Weekday rates are usually well above $300, but I found some weekend dates closer to the $200 mark.
Unfortunately you can’t book a stay on points — and the property doesn’t participate in Amex’s phenomenal Fine Hotels & Resorts program, or Chase’s Luxury Hotel & Resort Collection — but if you’re visiting from out of the country, the ability to avoid buying a local SIM or paying roaming charges could help make a stay more affordable overall.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees