This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest Airlines says that it hasn’t found any signs of metal fatigue on its jet engines in the days since last week’s fatal accident.
“With the inspections we have stepped up since last week, we have no findings at this point, which is obviously what we would expect,” Southwest CEO Gary Kelly said on Thursday.
Bloomberg reports that as of Thursday, the carrier has inspected all but about 10,000 of the 35,500 fan blades that are equipped on its CFM56-7B engines. The carrier began inspections in 2017, completing about 17,000 before Flight 1380 last week. Since the accident, Southwest said that it’s stepped up inspections on the remaining fan blades.
During its inspections that began last year, a Southwest executive said that it did discover one cracked blade, which was discarded and replaced. But during its most recent, expedited inspections, the carrier hasn’t found any additional fan blades that have shown metal fatigue.
Last year, CFM, the joint-venture company behind the CFM56-7B engines in question recommended to airlines that they inspect engines following a 2016 incident, again with Southwest Airlines. Last Friday, the Federal Aviation Administration issued an emergency directive for airlines to complete checks of all CFM56-7B engines that have operated more than 30,000 cycles within 30 days.
On Thursday, CFM issued a statement saying that 60% of the approximately 680 engines covered under the FAA directive and regulations in other parts of the world have been inspected.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that