Why news of a no-fly zone over Biden’s current location isn’t as big of a deal as it seems
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With the results of the presidential election expected soon, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is extending its restriction on air travel over Joe Biden’s location.
A no-fly zone has been put in place around the Democratic candidate’s house in Wilmington, Delaware, and the nearby Chase Center, where Biden would give a possible victory speech should he win the race. The areas have been designated as “national defense airspace.”
Some may speculate that these are early signs of a Biden victory, and the topic did gin up splashy headlines in major news outlets. However, in reality, it just appears to be an extension of a routine restriction issued in August when Biden accepted the presidential nomination.
Stay up-to-date on airline and aviation news by signing up for our new biweekly aviation newsletter.
The no-fly zone covers a one-mile radius near New Castle Airport (ILG), which is currently without commercial service — though Frontier is expected to return early next year. Pilots not departing or arriving from the airport must avoid the area, except in extraordinary circumstances, such as safety and emergency reasons. Planes that do not follow the restrictions can be intercepted.
Drones and other unmanned aircraft are restricted from flying as well.
Flight restrictions are common practice around large gatherings and major events, such as elections. For instance, in 2016, the FAA implemented no-fly zones around the homes of presidential candidates Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, as well as their running mates. As another example, Disney has a permanent no-fly zone over both of its U.S. parks.
The temporary flight restriction was originally placed in late August and set to expire Friday, but has since been extended through Wednesday morning (Nov. 11).
Featured image by Rafael Cordero/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees