No Bedbugs on Our Planes, Air India Claims
A thorough search of Air India’s planes turned up no bed bugs anywhere, the airline announced on Twitter Thursday, contradicting recent complaints from passengers, including an incident in which two babies were covered in bites.
The airline had promised to investigate allegations of an infestation after a July flight from Newark (EWR) to Mumbai (BOM) in which parents in business class discovered that their two crying infants had several bites and that the seats were “infested” with bed bugs. The father of the two girls took his indignation to social media, calling out to India’s prime minister and head of civil aviation to address the problem.
With its tweet Thursday, the airline cast doubt on the passengers’ reports, since it seemed to deny that there was evidence of the parasites, which are notoriously to eradicate. The company didn’t go into further detail about the kind of search that was done, the number of aircraft it checked out or why the vessels were fumigated if no bed bugs were found. A spokeswoman for the company did not immediately return requests for comment.
Air India, meanwhile, has suffered woes of its own, including being put up for sale only to find potential buyers avoiding it like it had, well, bed bugs.
Featured photo by smuay/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees