Newark Closes Runways After Air Transat Flight Makes Emergency Landing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An Air Transat Boeing 737-800 en route to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) from Montreal (YUL) diverted to Newark Airport (EWR) Saturday morning after smoke was reported in the cargo hold. The aircraft involved in the incident was stuck on the Newark runway following the diversion, causing the airport to temporarily close its runways, which has led to excessive flight delays.
According to Air Transat, flight TS942 was, “Flying from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale [and] made an emergency landing in Newark (EWR) due to reports of smoke in the cargo hold. No one was injured.” The aircraft landed safely in Newark roughly an hour and fifteen minutes after departing Montreal. The airline went on to say that the “189 passengers’ safety is our top priority” and that all passengers “were evacuated promptly upon landing.” The airline also confirmed that a new aircraft will be sent to Newark to continue on to Fort Lauderdale.
The aircraft involved in the incident is a 12-year-old Boeing 737-800 with the registration C-GTQG. C-GTQG previously flew for Air India Express and has not been involved in any serious incidents in the aircraft’s operational history.
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has also released a statement on the incident saying, “Air Transat Flight 942, a Boeing 737, reported a possible fire in the cargo hold and diverted to Newark Liberty International Airport at 8:30 a.m. The aircraft landed on Runway 4 Right and remained on the runway while airport firefighters responded. Passengers evacuated on the runway via emergency slides.” The source of the smoke reported in the cargo hold has not yet been confirmed.
As noted by the FAA, the Boeing 737 remained on Runway 4R at Newark Airport leading to numerous diversions and multiple delayed departures. Inbound flights diverted to airports across the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic including Washington-Dulles (IAD) and Philadelphia (PHL). An Air Canada flight from Toronto to Newark had taxied to the runway though ultimately was canceled after an hour holding short of the departure runway.
According to a tweet from the Newark airport, “flight activity has resumed” as of 10:18am. However, both departing and arriving flights at Newark are experiencing excessive delays. Passengers with flights in or out of Newark Airport (EWR) should check with their airline to ensure their flight is operating on-time.
Featured image by BriYYZ via Flickr
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees