This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Tuesday, Terminal 5 at New York’s JFK was transformed from a terminal to a talk show stage in honor of National Business Traveler Day (NBTD), an event by Upside. JetBlue opened up its terminal to promote NBTD, a day that honors the two million business people who travel for business every workday. Comedians Tripp and Tyler hosted the event, and the duo offered prizes as well as snacks, drinks and phone-charging stations for travelers on the go. Business travelers also had the chance enter a contest to win free first-class upgrades for 20 years on domestic flights, $25,000 worth of gift cards, $5,000 of car rental credits, two international roundtrip business-class tickets, as well as many other prizes.
After passing through security, the main hall of T5 was transformed into the stage, complete with cameras rolling and curious travelers picking up free swag. Travelers had the chance to interact with NBTD brand ambassadors and had the opportunity to learn more about the inaugural event.
Upside Business Travel teamed up with more than 20 other companies — including TPG — to sponsor NBTD. Giveaway prizes, upgrades and special lounges were set up at airports across the country, and sponsors contributed giveaways for business travelers at the select airports. Prizes included 24 Hour Fitness day passes, Blue Bottle Coffee drink cards, free audiobook downloads from Audible and XpresSpa gift cards.
JetBlue also sponsored the pop-ups for NBTD at its terminal, and the airline offered JetBlue swag in addition to snacks and libations for busy travelers. Tripp and Tyler conducted interviews and raised awareness on life of the typical business traveler. The two eventually walked around the terminal to entice people to play a version of horseshoes where the horseshoes were replaced with travel neck pillows. The prize for successfully ringing the pillow around a pole? A travel neck pillow. Full disclosure: It’s harder than it looks.
This day dedicated to the business traveler hopes to promote what Upside calls, “the unspoken heroes of the American economy.” Business travel accounts for 3% of the national GDP but, that’s nothing compared to the time these travelers are away from their home and office. Upside hopes to recognize the efforts of these people who sacrifice the comforts of their daily lives for progress in the workplace.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees