New York to Rome on a Single-Aisle Jet? Sure, if Airbus Has Its Way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbus introduced the newest member of its A320 family on Monday: the A321XLR. The new variant has a range of about 5,400 miles, and according to Airbus, a 30% increase in fuel efficiency over some of its competitors.
The new plane, introduced at the 2019 Paris Air Show, really expands the map of cities that could be linked by direct air service. With the A321XLR, airlines will have an extremely economical option for long-haul flights, according to Airbus. The plane can fit almost as many passengers as some smaller wide-body jets, but with narrow-body economics; that means airlines will be able to use the XLR on routes that did not have enough demand to profitably fill bigger jets with higher operating costs.
The plane is well-positioned to replace aging Boeing 757s in many fleets, especially as Boeing continues to focus on fixing its 737 MAX before releasing plans for its rumored new mid-range aircraft.
Here are just some of the city pairs that could (theoretically) see very long-range narrow-body service once the A321XLR begins flying:
New York – Rome
Boston – Dubrovnik, Croatia
Charlotte, North Carolina – Berlin
Atlanta – Barcelona
Washington – Lisbon
Fort Lauderdale, Florida – London
Miami – Buenos Aires
Chicago – Casablanca
Houston – Honolulu
London – Delhi
Sydney – Tokyo
Dubai – Cape Town
Seoul – Doha
Istanbul – Maldives
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.