New York to Rome on a Single-Aisle Jet? Sure, if Airbus Has Its Way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbus introduced the newest member of its A320 family on Monday: the A321XLR. The new variant has a range of about 5,400 miles, and according to Airbus, a 30% increase in fuel efficiency over some of its competitors.
The new plane, introduced at the 2019 Paris Air Show, really expands the map of cities that could be linked by direct air service. With the A321XLR, airlines will have an extremely economical option for long-haul flights, according to Airbus. The plane can fit almost as many passengers as some smaller wide-body jets, but with narrow-body economics; that means airlines will be able to use the XLR on routes that did not have enough demand to profitably fill bigger jets with higher operating costs.
The plane is well-positioned to replace aging Boeing 757s in many fleets, especially as Boeing continues to focus on fixing its 737 MAX before releasing plans for its rumored new mid-range aircraft.
Here are just some of the city pairs that could (theoretically) see very long-range narrow-body service once the A321XLR begins flying:
New York – Rome
Boston – Dubrovnik, Croatia
Charlotte, North Carolina – Berlin
Atlanta – Barcelona
Washington – Lisbon
Fort Lauderdale, Florida – London
Miami – Buenos Aires
Chicago – Casablanca
Houston – Honolulu
London – Delhi
Sydney – Tokyo
Dubai – Cape Town
Seoul – Doha
Istanbul – Maldives
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee