Does the New York Stock Exchange Know the Difference Between Sweden and Switzerland?
If you thought you had a rough day at work Tuesday, at least you didn’t hang up the wrong flag for Spotify’s initial public offering.
The New York Stock Exchange celebrated the music streaming company’s IPO by hanging up the Swiss flag before opening bell. The only problem? Spotify is a Swedish company—and social media users quickly caught on to the mistake.
Not pictured: frazzled NYSE interns Googling “Swedish flag” before swapping the Swiss one out (probably, we can’t confirm this). An hour later, the correct one was hanging up.
In a since-deleted tweet, the NYSE gave a possible explanation as to why the wrong flag was raised. Allegedly, “Our flag guy was rocking his Spotify playlist a little hard this morning and grabbed the wrong flag.” Maybe he was listening to The Weeknd’s new album?
They also issued this statement. Props to their social manager for being witty and quick-thinking.
In fact, the Swedish-American Chamber of Commerce New England wasn’t even offended by the incident — going so far as to say that it’s a “common mistake.”
Can’t argue with that logic.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.