New York City Airports, Parks and Subway Stations Are Celebrating Pride
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Throughout June, New York City has been honoring the LGBTQ community for Pride month with a series of events and festivals. But for travelers in town next week for the official kick-off of the first-ever WorldPride in the US and the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots, you don’t have to splurge on VIP tickets to experience the citywide celebration.
All around the city, tourists will discover a range of rainbow-colored tributes. At Franklin D. Roosevelt Four Freedoms Park on Roosevelt Island, for example, the largest Pride flat in the entire city is now on display. The 12 by 100 foot “banner” has transformed the steps of the state park, and will remain on display until June 30.
Even one of the dreariest, most mundane parts of the city — namely, the subway — have been brightened by cheerful Pride logos. The heart-shaped, rainbow subway routes icon can be found on 50 1-line trains for the entirety of June.
Pride posters with powerful messages banning “bigotry, hatred [and] prejudice” from the platform and encouraging commuters to “just love” and “open [their] heart” can be found across the city. Travelers can even get special Pride MetroCards at select stations (including Atlantic Ave-Barclays Center; 34th Street-Penn Station; Grand Central-42nd Street; Times Square-42nd Street; 14th Street-Union Square and West 4th Street-Washington Square among others) while supplies last.
There’s even Pride-themed merchandise available at the New York Transit museum website and trio of storefronts. (Souvenir subway magnet, anyone?)
And yes, some iconic yellow cabs are donning NYC Pride decals, too.
This year, the spirit of diversity and inclusion begins from the moment you touch down in New York City. On June 14, LaGuardia Airport (LGA) revealed an exhibit at the Marine Air Terminal that pays homage to Stonewall and celebrates marriage equality. The exhibit will be on display until the end of the month. On June 20, Newark Liberty International (EWR) will host a drag brunch in Terminal C, and on June 28, the Port Authority will welcome special “Pride flights” from American Airlines at LGA and from Virgin at EWR.
“Diversity and inclusion is a key pillar of the Port Authority culture and values, and our focus this month on the LGBTQ+ community embodies our commitment to diversity and inclusion,” Port Authority Executive Director Rick Cotton said in a statement.
Feature photo by Drew Angerer/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.