Britain Has Begun Issuing Non-European Union Passports to Some Citizens
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Despite the fact that the Brexit departure yet to take place, select British citizens who recently renewed their passport are getting a surprise in the mail: a non-European Union passport. Though the UK is still a part of the EU — for now anyway — the words ‘European Union’ have been removed from some covers of the burgundy booklet.
One Twitter user posted a picture of her new passport along with her old one to show off the change, along with her feeling on the matter.
The tweet has garnered more than 4,000 comments with people on both sides of the Brexit debate weighing in about the new passport design.
In a statement issued by Sajid Javid, the Home Secretary said that the new design was set to be introduced on March 30, the day after the scheduled exit from the EU. However, some passport offices still have the old passports in stock and will be using those until they run out. Javid said the move was “sensible and efficient” and the best use of tax payer money. For now, citizens could be issued either one of the two passports, but can’t choose which one they are issued. Both are valid for travel.
This is just the first step in a two-part redesign of the UK passport. At the end of the year, Britain is set to return to its old blue passport, a design that dates back to 1921.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees