Visitors to the UK must take PCR test after arrival: Omicron cases confirmed
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re planning to travel soon to the U.K., you should know about some ongoing developments. All travelers arriving in the U.K. must take a PCR test for COVID-19 before the end of day two post-arrival (Day zero is when you arrive.) They must then self-isolate until receiving a negative result. The new rules were announced today by Prime Minister Boris Johnson at a Downing Street news conference.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
The PM’s announcement comes after officials confirmed two cases of the new Omicron variant have been identified in the United Kingdom. The cases were discovered in Nottingham and Chelmsford in persons who had been to southern Africa recently.
The World Health Organization has deemed Omicron a “variant of concern,” its most severe category. Omicron contains several spike protein mutations that it is feared may make it less responsive to COVID-19 vaccines. There are also signs it may be more contagious than other variants. Health officials around the world are scrambling to conduct further research on Omicron, as well as contain its spread.
“We don’t know how effective our vaccines will be” against Omicron, the PM said at the press conference.
The worrisome new variant was first reported by South Africa on Nov. 24.Thus far, it has also been detected in Botswana, Belgium, Hong Kong, Israel and now the U.K. Additionally, German officials on Saturday announced a suspected case in that country. The Netherlands is also conducting tests on passengers who recently entered the country on a flight from South Africa. Several have tested positive for COVID-19, though it is not yet known if they have the Omicron variant.
Describing the need to “buy time” to conduct further studies, Johnson announced that mandatory face coverings will be required on public transport and in shops in the U.K. Additionally, he said that anyone in contact with a suspected Omicron case must self-isolate for 10 days, even if they have been vaccinated.
“We need to slow down the spread of this variant here in the U.K., because measures at the border can only ever minimize and delay the arrival of a new variant rather than stop it altogether,” Johnson said.
As of Friday, the U.K.’s travel red list included South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Lesotho and Eswatini. As of Sunday, the list will expand to add Angola, Mozambique, Malawi and Zambia.
Officials also noted that the government is considering a heightened push for booster shots.
This is a developing story and will be updated.
Featured image by Steve Parsons/PA Images via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees