Latest COVID fallout: Longer cruises from the UK are getting the axe
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hoping to cruise out of the UK over the summer? Assuming cruising out of the country resumes by then, the itineraries that you’ll find available might be more limited than usual.
They also might only be available to UK residents.
In what could be a harbinger of things to come, Princess Cruises this week announced it was canceling all of its sailings out of the UK to such far-flung destinations as the Mediterranean, Norway, Scandinavia and Iceland through Sept. 25.
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s cruise newsletter.
Instead, the 14-ship brand hopes to offer a series of new, shorter cruises out of the UK for the summer season that’ll revolve around close-to-home ports. Unlike the typical Princess itinerary out of the UK, the new sailings only will be open to UK residents.
Also canceling far-flung summer sailings out of the UK this week was British line P&O Cruises. The six-ship brand also said it would replace such sailings with shorter, close-to-home sailings that would stick to coastal UK waters.
Like Princess, P&O Cruises said the new itineraries would be open to UK residents only. It’s calling them “staycation” cruises.
The last-minute itinerary changes for the summer come amidst an ongoing COVID-related lockdown in the UK and restrictions on travel to the UK by those coming from abroad.
Neither line offered details of the itineraries they planned for the new close-to-home sailings but promised to release them shortly.
“These sailings will leave from our home port in Southampton and sail around UK coastal waters enjoying the summer sunshine,” P&O Cruises president Paul Ludlow said in a statement accompanying the line’s announcement. “More details of dates, prices and the experience on board will be announced later this month, but they will, of course, all have flexibility so guests can book with confidence.”
In addition to canceling far-flung voyages out of the UK for the summer, P&O Cruises this week also canceled all sailings in other parts of the world for the summer. Should cruising resume by the summer, P&O Cruises’ plan is to entirely focus on close-to-home sailings out of the UK.
The changes that P&O Cruises announced this week affect the schedules of all six of its vessels. Itineraries on the line’s Arcadia, Aurora, Azura and Ventura have been canceled through the end of August. Itineraries on Britannia and Iona have been canceled through the end of September.
The changes at Princess affect three of the line’s 14 vessels: Regal Princess, Sky Princess and Island Princess. All three of the ships had been scheduled to sail out of Southampton over the summer. Only Regal Princess and Sky Princess will operate the new, shorter summer cruises out of Southampton that Princess plans, the line said. Princess didn’t say what its plans were for Island Princess.
The Princess sailings out of the UK that were canceled this week included 12-night voyages to the Canary Islands and 12-night sailings to the Baltics.
“We share in our guests’ disappointment over these cancelled voyages, and we appreciate the continued understanding and cooperation from our loyal guests and travel advisors,” Princess president Jan Swartz said in a statement accompanying the line’s announcement. “As we prepare our ships for a return to service, we remain in close contact with the UK Government to monitor the latest travel guidance for international guests.”
Lines that still have far-flung sailings from the UK on their schedules for the summer include Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises and MSC Cruises.
Royal Caribbean’s Anthem of the Seas is currently scheduled to sail a mix of seven- to 14-night voyages out of Southampton to such destinations as the Norwegian fjords and the Mediterranean.
Celebrity’s Celebrity Silhouette also is scheduled to sail a mix of seven- to 14-night voyages out of Southampton to such destinations as the Baltics, the Norwegian fjords, and Iceland and Greenland.
MSC Cruises’ MSC Magnifica is scheduled to sail mostly seven-night trips to the Norwegian fjords as well as some longer sailings to the Baltics.
Planning a cruise? Start with these stories:
- The 5 most desirable cabin locations on any cruise ship
- The 8 worst cabin locations on any cruise ship
- A quick guide to the most popular cruise lines
- 21 tips and tricks that will make your cruise go smoothly
- 15 ways cruisers waste money
- 12 best cruises for people who never want to grow up
- What to pack for your first cruise
Featured image of courtesy of Princess Cruises
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.