California plans to add new state park in park desert area near Modesto
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
California residents will have a new state park to visit next year, thanks to the addition of a park about 10 miles from Modesto. This marks the first addition to the Golden State’s park roster in more than 10 years.
Public access to Dos Rios State Park would begin sometime in 2023, though an exact date has not yet been set.
The location of the planned park in the San Joaquin Valley region of the Central Valley would fill a hole in an area where parks are lacking, per state park officials.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
California Governor Gavin Newsom confirmed the news via Twitter on May 18, after various outlets reported on the state’s intention to acquire 2,500 acres from conservation group River Partners for the site of the new park.
The park’s name, Dos Rios, comes from its location at the intersection point of the San Joaquin and Tuolumne rivers southwest of Modesto.
Since 2012, River Partners group has invested nearly $50 million to rehabilitate the space by planting native trees, brush and grass, according to the Modesto Bee. The local outlet also said the state plans to transform the park within 10 years, starting with the addition of trails and picnic tables then, eventually, campgrounds.
If approved as part of the governor’s budget in July, California will invest $5 million to create the new state park. State Parks Director Armando Quintero said Dos Rios will fulfill a need in a “park-poor region” while addressing inequitable accessibility to state recreation sites, according to the Associated Press.
“Everyone deserves to have close access to vibrant parks and this opportunity is an exciting one,” Quintero told AP earlier this month. “The beauty of a place like this is that many people in the Central Valley don’t get to experience the Central Valley for its really incredible and local natural beauty.”
Dos Rios would be located near the San Joaquin River National Wildlife Refuge, approximately 90 minutes from San Francisco in an area of California known as the Central Valley. The Central Valley encompasses the Sacramento Valley to the north and San Joaquin Valley to the south.
Other nearby parks include Turlock Lake State Recreation Area, which is about a 40-minute drive from Modesto, though it is temporarily closed. Otherwise, locals can drive about two hours to Coe State Park in Morgan Hills or approximately 30 minutes to Caswell Memorial State Park or Hatfield State Recreation Area, both located across the Stanislaus River.
If everything goes according to plan, Dos Rios will become California’s 280th state park, following the 2009 addition of Fort Ord Dunes along the coast in Monterey.
Featured photo of the site of California’s newest state park in Modesto by Brian van der Brug/Los Angeles Times/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees