Nature Hits Back: Seal Slaps Kayaker in the Face With Octopus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Yeah, you read that right.
A kayaker off the coast of Kaikoura, New Zealand, was slapped in the face with an octopus via fur seal. You can view the video of the incident here, below:
Kyle Mulinder, the unfortunate recipient of the octo-slap, is a GoPro employee and had one of the tiny cameras attached to his boat. A friend of Mulinder’s posted the video on his Instagram, causing it to go viral.
The area off the coast of the south island is known for its abundant fur seal population. Leading up to the slap, Mulinder and company had been watching the seal struggle with the octopus for quite a while. “We were just sitting out in the middle of the ocean, and then this huge male seal appeared with an octopus, and he was thrashing him about for ages,” Mulinder told Australia’s Seven News. “I was like ‘mate, what just happened?’ It was weird because it happened so fast, but I could feel all the hard parts of the octopus on my face.”
Well, you can’t say humankind didn’t have it coming. We do have quite the rap sheet against the ocean and sea creatures at the moment. Revenge is a dish best served by a seal, we guess.
Featured Image by Taiyo Masuda via The Guardian
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees