Nature Hits Back: Seal Slaps Kayaker in the Face With Octopus
Yeah, you read that right.
A kayaker off the coast of Kaikoura, New Zealand, was slapped in the face with an octopus via fur seal. You can view the video of the incident here, below:
Kyle Mulinder, the unfortunate recipient of the octo-slap, is a GoPro employee and had one of the tiny cameras attached to his boat. A friend of Mulinder’s posted the video on his Instagram, causing it to go viral.
The area off the coast of the south island is known for its abundant fur seal population. Leading up to the slap, Mulinder and company had been watching the seal struggle with the octopus for quite a while. “We were just sitting out in the middle of the ocean, and then this huge male seal appeared with an octopus, and he was thrashing him about for ages,” Mulinder told Australia’s Seven News. “I was like ‘mate, what just happened?’ It was weird because it happened so fast, but I could feel all the hard parts of the octopus on my face.”
Well, you can’t say humankind didn’t have it coming. We do have quite the rap sheet against the ocean and sea creatures at the moment. Revenge is a dish best served by a seal, we guess.
Featured Image by Taiyo Masuda via The Guardian
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.