This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Elon Musk announced the opening date for a stretch of his California hyperloop test tunnel. Sunday night on Twitter.
“The first tunnel is almost done,” Musk tweeted about the hyperloop, a project by his Boring Company. “Opens Dec. 10.”
Opens Dec 10
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) October 22, 2018
The tunnel will be an ultra-fast underground transit system running for more than two miles beneath the streets of LA, linking it to the outer suburb of Hawthorne, where Musk’s rocket and space tourism venture, SpaceX, has its headquarters.
“The initial Test Tunnel, located in Hawthorne, CA, is being used for the research and development of The Boring Company’s public transportation systems, Loop and Hyperloop,” the tunnel digging firm wrote on its website.
The stretch opening in less than two months will be a “test tunnel” to show what the company’s hyperloop and transit system would be like. Musk says that speeds in the test tunnel will reach up to 155 mph, Bloomberg reports. That is far below the top speed of 760 mph Musk had declared the completed hyperloop will reach — and it isn’t yet clear how the Boring Co. plans to get to those speeds.
Travelers will be sped through the tunnel on a device called a “skate,” an electric platform that will either carry eight to 16 passengers in its own travel pod or inside a car or vehicle that is driven onto it, USA Today says. Musk tweeted that there will be an opening event on Dec. 10 for the test tunnel, with free rides for the public the next day.
Musk is also planning hyperloops in downtown Chicago and a “Dugout Loop” to bring baseball fans to Dodger stadium.
Featured image by PETER PARKS/AFP/Getty Images.
This article has been updated to reflect that Hawthorne, CA, is SpaceX’s headquarters, not its rocket launching facility, which is in Santa Barbara, CA.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees