This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Elon Musk announced the opening date for a stretch of his California hyperloop test tunnel. Sunday night on Twitter.
“The first tunnel is almost done,” Musk tweeted about the hyperloop, a project by his Boring Company. “Opens Dec. 10.”
Opens Dec 10
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) October 22, 2018
The tunnel will be an ultra-fast underground transit system running for more than two miles beneath the streets of LA, linking it to the outer suburb of Hawthorne, where Musk’s rocket and space tourism venture, SpaceX, has its headquarters.
“The initial Test Tunnel, located in Hawthorne, CA, is being used for the research and development of The Boring Company’s public transportation systems, Loop and Hyperloop,” the tunnel digging firm wrote on its website.
The stretch opening in less than two months will be a “test tunnel” to show what the company’s hyperloop and transit system would be like. Musk says that speeds in the test tunnel will reach up to 155 mph, Bloomberg reports. That is far below the top speed of 760 mph Musk had declared the completed hyperloop will reach — and it isn’t yet clear how the Boring Co. plans to get to those speeds.
Travelers will be sped through the tunnel on a device called a “skate,” an electric platform that will either carry eight to 16 passengers in its own travel pod or inside a car or vehicle that is driven onto it, USA Today says. Musk tweeted that there will be an opening event on Dec. 10 for the test tunnel, with free rides for the public the next day.
Musk is also planning hyperloops in downtown Chicago and a “Dugout Loop” to bring baseball fans to Dodger stadium.
Featured image by PETER PARKS/AFP/Getty Images.
This article has been updated to reflect that Hawthorne, CA, is SpaceX’s headquarters, not its rocket launching facility, which is in Santa Barbara, CA.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees