This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Mount Rainier National Park, which is about a two-hour drive south from Seattle, Washington, is about to enter peak wildflower season.
From mid-July to the beginning of August, a colorful display comprising hundreds of different wildflower species is expected to blanket the national park. There will be lupine, Jeffrey’s shooting star, wild strawberries, Calypso orchids, yellow violets, starflower plants, salmonberries and a plethora of other wildflower varieties blooming across the sprawling 369-square-mile expanse of the Washington State reserve.
According to Travel + Leisure, there are dozens of trails open for optimal flower viewing. Some of these include the Bench and Snow Lakes Trail, the Naches Peak Loop Trail, the Glacier Basin Trail and the Wonderland Trail — where impressive flower sitings have already been reported.
Park representatives also said that the subalpine regions will host the park’s most “impressive wildflower displays.” This is due to snow that lingers on the meadows into June and even July, which causes the flowers to “bloom profusely” in that area. Officials also noted that, while frost tends to appear in the area in late August, flowers could look even more mesmerizing with a light layer of ice as the leaves change and the bloom continues.
When visiting, park guests are asked to stay on established trails to avoid damaging the flower fields and help preserve the natural phenomenon. Earlier this year in California, law enforcement officials were forced to “close everything” in response to super bloom-seekers crushing the flowers by walking off the trails and straying from designated viewing spots to take photos.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees