This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Millions of people are taking international trips each year — even after an increase in passport fees.
Mastercard analyzed 162 global cities to rank the top travel destinations and found that tourists are making their way to Bangkok more than any other city. The Mastercard Global Destination Cities Index ranked 162 cities based on visitor volume and spend for the 2017 calendar year, growth forecast for 2018, the average length of stay and amount spent per day.
With just more than 20 million international overnight visitors, MasterCard predicts Bangkok will remain in the top spot with 9.6% growth expected in 2018. The analysis also found that on average, visitors tend to stay in this Southeast Asian city for 4.7 nights and spend around $173 per day.
Following behind Bangkok comes London, Paris and Dubai. London trails not too far behind Bangkok, with 19.83 million visitors, and although people are staying 5.8 nights on average, most only spend $153 per day and the index predicts only a 3% growth in 2018. The report also indicated that Dubai remains in a top spot based off how much visitors are spending each day. In 2017, travelers in Dubai racked up $29.70 billion spent — averaging roughly $530 per day.
Top 10 Cities for Total International Visitors:
- New York
- Kuala Lumpur
If traveling internationally was your 2018 New Year’s Resolution, but you haven’t had the time to do so, you have about just about 2.5 months to go overseas. You can reach your travel goals faster by signing up for a great travel rewards credit card and don’t shy away from economy tickets.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees