The Most Visited City of 2017 Might Surprise You
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Millions of people are taking international trips each year — even after an increase in passport fees.
Mastercard analyzed 162 global cities to rank the top travel destinations and found that tourists are making their way to Bangkok more than any other city. The Mastercard Global Destination Cities Index ranked 162 cities based on visitor volume and spend for the 2017 calendar year, growth forecast for 2018, the average length of stay and amount spent per day.
With just more than 20 million international overnight visitors, MasterCard predicts Bangkok will remain in the top spot with 9.6% growth expected in 2018. The analysis also found that on average, visitors tend to stay in this Southeast Asian city for 4.7 nights and spend around $173 per day.
Following behind Bangkok comes London, Paris and Dubai. London trails not too far behind Bangkok, with 19.83 million visitors, and although people are staying 5.8 nights on average, most only spend $153 per day and the index predicts only a 3% growth in 2018. The report also indicated that Dubai remains in a top spot based off how much visitors are spending each day. In 2017, travelers in Dubai racked up $29.70 billion spent — averaging roughly $530 per day.
Top 10 Cities for Total International Visitors:
- New York
- Kuala Lumpur
If traveling internationally was your 2018 New Year’s Resolution, but you haven’t had the time to do so, you have about just about 2.5 months to go overseas. You can reach your travel goals faster by signing up for a great travel rewards credit card and don’t shy away from economy tickets.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.