This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
US airports aren’t the only ones with current security staffing issues.
At airports across Germany, security workers are on strike demanding better wages. On Thursday, more than 640 flights were canceled across the nation due to the lack of airport staffing, Reuters reports. Security workers walked off the job at Duesseldorf, Cologne and Stuttgart airports.
Officials said that about 61% of flights were affected: Out of 1,054 scheduled flights, a total of 643 had to be canceled. For the remaining flights, the airports warned of significant delays in security lines on Thursday.
A similar strike took place on Monday at Berlin’s Tegel airport (TXL), with 1,000 security workers demonstrating for higher wages, causing widespread flight delays and cancellations.
The security workers’ union, Verdi, said the employees want a wage increase to 20 euros per hour. Negotiations are set to resume on Jan. 23.
Featured image by FEDERICO GAMBARINI/AFP/Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees