This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
US airports aren’t the only ones with current security staffing issues.
At airports across Germany, security workers are on strike demanding better wages. On Thursday, more than 640 flights were canceled across the nation due to the lack of airport staffing, Reuters reports. Security workers walked off the job at Duesseldorf, Cologne and Stuttgart airports.
Officials said that about 61% of flights were affected: Out of 1,054 scheduled flights, a total of 643 had to be canceled. For the remaining flights, the airports warned of significant delays in security lines on Thursday.
A similar strike took place on Monday at Berlin’s Tegel airport (TXL), with 1,000 security workers demonstrating for higher wages, causing widespread flight delays and cancellations.
The security workers’ union, Verdi, said the employees want a wage increase to 20 euros per hour. Negotiations are set to resume on Jan. 23.
Featured image by FEDERICO GAMBARINI/AFP/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
LIMITED TIME OFFER: 70,000 Miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $980
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2x miles on AA purchases plus 2x miles at gas stations and at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers and car rental merchants. Get your first checked bag free.
- Designed for businesses
- For a limited time: Earn 70,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $4,000 in purchases in first 4 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries to reduce travel costs and boost your bottom line*
- 25% savings on American Airlines inflight Wi-Fi when you use your card*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and at gas stations*
- Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent on other purchases*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*