More Than 200 Passengers Sick With Norovirus on Royal Caribbean Cruise
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas, known for being one of the largest cruise ships in the world, will be returning to Port Canaveral a day early after an outbreak of Norovirus affected more than 200 guests and crew members aboard.
The gastrointestinal illness was first reported on Sunday, Jan. 5. The seven-night cruise has since docked at Falmouth port on the northern side of Jamaica, where it had a planned excursion. Unfortunately, guests aboard the cruise were not permitted to leave the ship for hours after docking due to the intensity of the outbreak.
Norovirus is a gastrointestinal illness that can cause stomach pain, nausea, diarrhea and vomiting. It’s notorious for occurring on cruise ships, however, this is a misconception due to the illness’ highly contagious nature.
The outbreak on Oasis of the Seas was the first widespread Norovirus outbreak on a cruise ship of 2019, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Last year, 11 widespread Norovirus outbreaks were recorded on cruise ships by CDC.
Whether there was a quarantine aboard the cruise ship is currently unclear. However, Owen Torres, a spokesperson for Royal Caribbean, told USA Today, “Those affected by the short-lived illness are being treated by our ship’s medical team with over-the-counter medication. Meanwhile, we are bringing additional medical staff on board and we’re engaging in intensive sanitary procedures to minimize the risk of any further issues.”
Since reports on Wednesday, the number of infected passengers and crew has increased from 167 to 277 — affecting about 3.3% of the people aboard the ship. In an email to TPG, Torres confirmed that all of the passengers aboard the Oasis will receive full refunds of their cruise fare. As for returning to Port Canaveral early, Royal Caribbean believes that it the best thing to do for the guests.
“We think the right thing to do is to get everyone home early rather than have guests worry about their health. Returning on Saturday also gives us more time to completely clean and sanitize the ship before her next sailing,” said Torres. “Our guests sail with us to have great vacations, and we are sorry this cruise fell short.”
Featured image courtesy of Royal Caribbean.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees