TSA PreCheck offering mobile enrollment at select airports this summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers passing through select airports may be able to enroll in TSA PreCheck in person soon thanks to mobile pop-up enrollment events where passengers can sign up for the government’s expedited security program in a few minutes.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Starting today through June 6, travelers at Gulfport-Biloxi International Airport (GPT) can use the new mobile service, which is available through a partnership with enrollment provider IDEMIA. The sign-up process should take about five minutes from start to finish.
“This is our latest innovation for conducting TSA PreCheck enrollment,” Lisa Sullivan, senior vice president of travel and transport for IDEMIA North America, said in a statement. “IDEMIA is the pioneer in identity verification and validation technologies, and this latest enrollment option will further streamline signing more people up to receive the benefits of the TSA PreCheck program.”
Passengers at GPT should keep an eye out for enrollment teams stationed near the ticketing area, as well as by the TSA security line both before and after they go through.
In June, the TSA will begin registering additional travelers through mobile events at Nashville International Airport (BNA), and mobile enrollment will also be available at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS), likely in early June, per a regional TSA spokesperson for AUS.
The agency first rolled out the program at Jackson-Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport (JAN) in March and Louisville Muhammad Ali International Airport (SDF) earlier in May.
More than 550 travelers signed up during the JAN and SDF mobile enrollment events, according to a spokesperson for the TSA Gulf region, which includes Mississippi.
“The first test of this mobile service at Jackson-Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport proved very popular with travelers,” said Kim Jackson, the TSA’s federal security director for Mississippi.
“This is an exciting development for TSA, the TSA PreCheck application program and the traveling public,” Jackson added. “We’ve listened to travelers’ feedback and worked … to make enrolling more accessible.”
Travelers who enroll at any of the above airports via this simplified process should receive their Known Traveler Number, which is needed to access the TSA PreCheck line at participating airports, within three to five days after paying the $85 application fee. Their membership will be valid for five years.
TSA PreCheck users must enter their KTN when they book a flight in order to have their membership noted on their boarding pass. This allows them to pass through a quicker, TSA PreCheck-specific line.
On average, it took 94% of TSA PreCheck users five minutes or less to pass through security in April, per agency data.
“Travelers are confident knowing their verified identity will streamline their transit through the airport: They can keep their shoes, belts and light jackets on and leave their compliant liquids and laptops in their bag,” Jackson said.
Before you apply, know that many credit cards offer a statement credit that can be used to cover the cost of the TSA PreCheck application fee once every four or five years, depending on the card.
Featured photo by Lindsey Nicholson/UCG/Universal Images Group/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees