Bonvoy bug: How to get your missing Marriott certificates back
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of my absolute favorite hotel credit card perks is the annual free night certificate you’ll get with certain accounts. In many cases, that one benefit more than makes up for the annual fee, netting you free nights worth hundreds of dollars without any hit to your points balance.
My favorite certificates come as a benefit of the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card, letting you book a hotel room that would otherwise cost 50,000 points per night — the 35,000-point certificates with the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card and Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card can be incredibly valuable, as well.
Typically, you’ll redeem these certificates in much the same way you’d book a room with Bonvoy points, though you’ll need to use Marriott’s website or call center — not the mobile app — to lock in your stay. Recently, getting a certificate back after you cancel a stay has been far more challenging, though.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
If you cancel a stay right now, there’s a good chance your certificate will end up getting “stuck” — the booking will drop from your list of stays, but the certificate may not go back into your Bonvoy account. A Marriott spokesperson acknowledged the issue and confirmed that the chain is currently working on a fix.
I’ve encountered this issue with every certificate booking I’ve canceled recently, and it’s certainly not easy to tell if any are missing from your account. For that reason, I’d recommend noting your current certificate balance before you cancel a reservation.
If you get the canceled certificate(s) back, there’s nothing you need to do. If they don’t appear right away, however, you’ll want to give Marriott a call at 888-236-2427, noting the hotel name and dates of your canceled stay. Reservations agents should be able to redeposit your certificates. If you want to avoid an extra step, they can also cancel your stay for you and confirm that your certificates become available again.
Alternatively, you can reach out to Marriott with a direct message on Twitter, @MarriottBonvoy. In my experience, I generally received a response in a few minutes, with my certificates ready to use again right away.
Featured image of the ZH Wilson Residence Inn Big Sky MT by Zach Honig / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.