Why we love Miles4Migrants and how you can give points to those in need
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“F” is an Iranian woman now living as a refugee in Belgium. We aren’t naming her to protect her safety. She was separated from her children for three years after they fled the repressive regime in Iran. Thanks to Miles4Migrants, she was reunited with her family and is now a free woman.
All it took was 45,000 Capital One miles!
She said, “In Iran, the only thing I could do was cry. Now, ever since I arrived in Belgium and was reunited with my children, the only thing I can do is laugh! I would like to thank the person who bought me the ticket from the bottom of my heart.”
This reunion was made possible by a charity that is near and dear to our hearts here at The Points Guy — Miles4Migrants.
Donate your airline miles, credit card points or travel vouchers via this landing page: miles4migrants.org/thepointsguy.
What is Miles4Migrants?
Miles4Migrants is a nonprofit that accepts airline miles, credit card points and travel vouchers as donations from people just like you, and uses them to book airfare for those fleeing persecution, poverty or political or ethnic violence. Miles4Migrants has helped over 4,800 people using over 79 million points and miles.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Miles4Migrants partners with other nonprofits to identify refugees, asylum-seekers, and immediate family members who have legal approval to travel but cannot afford airfare.
Today, just in time for World Refugee Day on June 20, we are proud to report we are a corporate sponsor for MIles4Migrants again this year. To learn more about the amazing work they do, visit our landing page.
How to get involved
You can donate from a range of airline loyalty and credit card rewards programs. Miles4Migrants tells me they need Aeroplan, United Airlines and American Airlines miles most of all. But the need is great, and they accept donations from most programs, including:
- Alaska Airlines.
- Amtrak Guest Rewards.
- Southwest Airlines.
- Flying Blue.
- American Express Membership Rewards.
- Chase Ultimate Rewards.
- Capital One.
To give miles, you can make a pledge on Miles4Migrants’ website. The minimum pledge size varies based on the minimum amount needed to book a ticket with each program. For most programs, the flight booking team at Miles4Migrants will work to match your miles pledged to an individual in need.
Once a match has been found, they will contact you with the recipient’s information and you can book the flight yourself, or Miles4Migrants can do it for you with your help. Oftentimes, you will receive a story and photo of the person or family your miles are helping fly.
If you have Alaska, Aeroplan or United miles to donate, Miles4Migrants has direct relationships with these airlines, so you’ll be able to donate directly into their pooled account. Pooled accounts provide Miles4Migrants with greater flexibility and efficiency when booking, so these miles are always greatly appreciated.
Cash donations are tax-deductible, but donations of miles, points and vouchers are not.
Besides frequent flyer miles, you can also donate travel vouchers and cash. Miles4Migrants currently accepts vouchers from Alaska Airlines, United, Southwest, JetBlue Airways and Allegiant Air. Additionally, cash donations also help to cover any award taxes, fees and surcharges.
Andy Freedman is one of the co-founders of Miles4Migrants. He told TPG:
“Between the new administration’s desire to support refugees and the lessening of travel restrictions worldwide, Miles4Migrants needs more support than ever. In fact, Miles4Migrants has already flown more individuals in 2021 than in all of 2020. With new global partnerships with organizations such as UNHCR, we expect the growth in our impact to continue to accelerate.”
Featured photo by Huseyin Aldemir/Shutterstock
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees