Miles Away: Now’s the Time to Book a Trip to New Orleans
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As it tends to do each winter, Mardi Gras 2019 has catapulted New Orleans back into the spotlight, with the city’s famous carnival celebration attracting families and young revelers, alike. Today, Dan Saltzstein, editorial director for special projects at The New York Times and TPG social media editor Samantha Rosen join Miles Away to share some of their highlights from the Big Easy.
First, Dan details some of the city’s culinary highlights, explaining how the region’s many cultural influences have impacted its cuisine. Then, Sam chimes in with her neighborhood recommendations, along with points and miles advice for anyone looking to book award flights and stays.
You can play this episode of Miles Away above, or listen and subscribe wherever you get your podcasts, including:
As Saltzstein explains, New Orleans is unlike any other destination in the world:
“New Orleans has all of these very intricate influences, sort of historical influences. So you have the French period is the most well known one, but before the French colonized New Orleans, the Spanish colonized New Orleans. So there’s Spanish culture. There’s French culture. There’s indigenous people’s culture. There’s the Caribbean, which largely through the slave trade, populated New Orleans, as did people from Latin America, from Africa.”
For more on planning a trip to New Orleans, see:
- Every Tourist in New Orleans Makes These 11 Mistakes
- You’ll Need a Boarding Pass to Access This Latest Café du Monde
- Trip-Spiration: Head to New Orleans, Louisiana
If you have any questions, thoughts or topics you’d like us to cover, please email me at email@example.com, tweet at me @zachhonig or find me on Instagram — I’m @zachhonig there as well. And please don’t forget to subscribe!
Featured image by benedek / Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.