Miles Away: Now’s the Time to Book a Trip to New Orleans
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As it tends to do each winter, Mardi Gras 2019 has catapulted New Orleans back into the spotlight, with the city’s famous carnival celebration attracting families and young revelers, alike. Today, Dan Saltzstein, editorial director for special projects at The New York Times and TPG social media editor Samantha Rosen join Miles Away to share some of their highlights from the Big Easy.
First, Dan details some of the city’s culinary highlights, explaining how the region’s many cultural influences have impacted its cuisine. Then, Sam chimes in with her neighborhood recommendations, along with points and miles advice for anyone looking to book award flights and stays.
You can play this episode of Miles Away above, or listen and subscribe wherever you get your podcasts, including:
As Saltzstein explains, New Orleans is unlike any other destination in the world:
“New Orleans has all of these very intricate influences, sort of historical influences. So you have the French period is the most well known one, but before the French colonized New Orleans, the Spanish colonized New Orleans. So there’s Spanish culture. There’s French culture. There’s indigenous people’s culture. There’s the Caribbean, which largely through the slave trade, populated New Orleans, as did people from Latin America, from Africa.”
For more on planning a trip to New Orleans, see:
- Every Tourist in New Orleans Makes These 11 Mistakes
- You’ll Need a Boarding Pass to Access This Latest Café du Monde
- Trip-Spiration: Head to New Orleans, Louisiana
If you have any questions, thoughts or topics you’d like us to cover, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, tweet at me @zachhonig or find me on Instagram — I’m @zachhonig there as well. And please don’t forget to subscribe!
Featured image by benedek / Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees