Miles Away: Spending a Long Weekend in Auckland, New Zealand
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Outdoor adventurers probably have New Zealand high up on their travel destination wishlists, assuming they haven’t already been. But city lovers might not mind spending most of their time in Auckland, especially on a shorter trip to the South Pacific.
TPG’s Global News Editor Emily McNutt joins me to chat all things Auckland on this week’s episode of Miles Away, from when to visit to where to stay what to do on the ground, including a day trip to the wine hotspot of Waiheke.
You can play this episode of Miles Away above, or listen and subscribe wherever you get your podcasts, including:
While Emily has yet to venture beyond Auckland, she’s really loved her time in New Zealand’s largest city:
“I think I’m one of the rare few that have been to New Zealand a couple times, two times, and I’ve only ever been to Auckland. Which is kind of a shame, but it’s also great because I love the city itself. It’s one of my favorite cities in the world, just in the sense that there’s so much to do within the city. Now, of course, there’s so much to explore in New Zealand as a whole, but I think Auckland is a good starting point, especially if you only have, you know, a short time to stay in New Zealand.”
For more on planning a trip to Auckland, see:
- Redemption of the Week: A Holiday Vacation in New Zealand
- TPG Readers’ Best Tips for Visiting New Zealand
- Business Lite: Air New Zealand’s Skycouch From Auckland
If you have any questions, thoughts or topics you’d like us to cover, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, tweet at me @zachhonig or find me on Instagram — I’m @zachhonig there as well. And please don’t forget to subscribe!
Featured image of Auckland, New Zealand by Darren Murph.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.