Miles Away: Spending a Long Weekend in Auckland, New Zealand
Outdoor adventurers probably have New Zealand high up on their travel destination wishlists, assuming they haven’t already been. But city lovers might not mind spending most of their time in Auckland, especially on a shorter trip to the South Pacific.
TPG’s Global News Editor Emily McNutt joins me to chat all things Auckland on this week’s episode of Miles Away, from when to visit to where to stay what to do on the ground, including a day trip to the wine hotspot of Waiheke.
You can play this episode of Miles Away above, or listen and subscribe wherever you get your podcasts, including:
While Emily has yet to venture beyond Auckland, she’s really loved her time in New Zealand’s largest city:
“I think I’m one of the rare few that have been to New Zealand a couple times, two times, and I’ve only ever been to Auckland. Which is kind of a shame, but it’s also great because I love the city itself. It’s one of my favorite cities in the world, just in the sense that there’s so much to do within the city. Now, of course, there’s so much to explore in New Zealand as a whole, but I think Auckland is a good starting point, especially if you only have, you know, a short time to stay in New Zealand.”
For more on planning a trip to Auckland, see:
- Redemption of the Week: A Holiday Vacation in New Zealand
- TPG Readers’ Best Tips for Visiting New Zealand
- Business Lite: Air New Zealand’s Skycouch From Auckland
If you have any questions, thoughts or topics you’d like us to cover, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, tweet at me @zachhonig or find me on Instagram — I’m @zachhonig there as well. And please don’t forget to subscribe!
Featured image of Auckland, New Zealand by Darren Murph.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees