Miles Away: Your Guide to Spring Skiing Out West
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Way back on Episode 2 of our Miles Away podcast, TPG Family editor Summer Hull (aka Mommy Points) shared some incredibly useful tips for planning a ski trip during peak dates. But what if you don’t mind waiting to hit the slopes until later in the season? Or, in some cases, actually prefer it.
Today, Summer’s back to chat spring skiing with long-time TPG contributor Jason Steele. While Summer’s a frequent visitor to Colorado, Jason actually lives there, and has extensive experience at many of the region’s top resorts.
As Jason explains, there are deals to be had throughout the year — especially if you’re able to plan ahead:
“I like to say a Colorado local would no more pay the window price for a ski ticket than we would pay the sticker price for a car. So I buy my tickets early season before Thanksgiving and if you happen to be out in Colorado between Labor Day and Thanksgiving if you go to any of the ski stores there, they will sell you the lower price tickets that are just a fraction of the walk-up price.”
You can play this episode of Miles Away above, or listen and subscribe wherever you get your podcasts, including:
For more on planning a ski trip of your own, see:
- Everything You Need to Know About Packing for a Ski Trip
- 15 of the Best Ski Towns in the US
- Maximizing Points and Miles for a Colorado Ski Trip
If you have any questions, thoughts or topics you’d like us to cover, please email me at email@example.com, tweet at me @zachhonig or find me on Instagram — I’m @zachhonig there as well. And please don’t forget to subscribe!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.