Miles Away: Your Guide to Spring Skiing Out West
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Way back on Episode 2 of our Miles Away podcast, TPG Family editor Summer Hull (aka Mommy Points) shared some incredibly useful tips for planning a ski trip during peak dates. But what if you don’t mind waiting to hit the slopes until later in the season? Or, in some cases, actually prefer it.
Today, Summer’s back to chat spring skiing with long-time TPG contributor Jason Steele. While Summer’s a frequent visitor to Colorado, Jason actually lives there, and has extensive experience at many of the region’s top resorts.
As Jason explains, there are deals to be had throughout the year — especially if you’re able to plan ahead:
“I like to say a Colorado local would no more pay the window price for a ski ticket than we would pay the sticker price for a car. So I buy my tickets early season before Thanksgiving and if you happen to be out in Colorado between Labor Day and Thanksgiving if you go to any of the ski stores there, they will sell you the lower price tickets that are just a fraction of the walk-up price.”
You can play this episode of Miles Away above, or listen and subscribe wherever you get your podcasts, including:
For more on planning a ski trip of your own, see:
- Everything You Need to Know About Packing for a Ski Trip
- 15 of the Best Ski Towns in the US
- Maximizing Points and Miles for a Colorado Ski Trip
If you have any questions, thoughts or topics you’d like us to cover, please email me at email@example.com, tweet at me @zachhonig or find me on Instagram — I’m @zachhonig there as well. And please don’t forget to subscribe!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.