This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For years, residents of St. Helena and adventure-seeking tourists had very limited options for getting to and from one of the most remote islands in the world.
For many, a ship called the RMS St Helena was the only link to other communities, taking up to five days to reach another port of call. That changed in 2017, when a tiny new airport opened and the first flight launched, connecting South Africa to St Helena in “just” seven hours, through weekly service to Johannesburg.
That enabled globe trotters like Lee Abbamonte to visit the island, the focus of our Miles Away episode today. Lee has traveled to every country in the world, he’s a good friend of mine and one of the smartest travelers I know. If you don’t already follow him on Instagram, definitely give that a go, then come right back here to listen to Episode 3 of Miles Away.
You can play this episode of Miles Away above, or listen and subscribe wherever you get your podcasts, including:
Lee visited so soon after the flight’s launch that travelers were still arriving by ship:
“I flew on the third flight out there and it coincided with the last RMS St. Helena ship, so I got to watch people literally crying that ship was being decommissioned because they had taken it their whole lives and spent so much time on it and I’m thinking to myself ‘wow.’ I did everything I could to possibly avoid it.”
For more on St. Helena, see:
- St Helena’s Airport Is Finally Getting Airline Service
- Flight Review: The First Commercial Flight to Remote Saint Helena
- ‘The World’s Most Useless Airport’ Gets More Flights
If you have any questions, thoughts or topics you’d like us to cover, please email me at email@example.com, tweet at me @zachhonig or find me on Instagram — I’m @zachhonig there as well. And please don’t forget to subscribe!
Featured image by Richard Kerr.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that