How to Catch a Glimpse of Monday Night’s Meteor Shower
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Two dueling meteor showers will peak Monday night, giving much of the United States the chance to see up to 25 meteors per hour streak across the night sky. However, some regions of the US will offer far better views of the spectacular astronomical event. Here’s where you’ll want to be to catch Monday night and Tuesday morning’s meteor shower.
When to Catch the Meteor Shower
The meteor shower will be most visible from dusk on Monday night with peak viewing lasting through dawn on Tuesday morning.
Where to Have the Best Views of the Meteor Shower
Skygazers will need to consider a number of factors to enjoy optimal viewing conditions of the meteor shower. The most important is cloud cover. Check your local weather for viewability. Second, if you live in a large city with substantial light pollution, you’ll want to make your way to somewhere more remote. Here are the best cities to catch Monday’s astronomical event.
- Cape May, NJ (1 hour and 45 minutes from Philadelphia)
- Hudson, NY (2 hours and 30 minutes from New York City)
- Cape Cod, MA (1 hour and 30 minutes from Boston)
- Virginia Beach, VA (30 minutes from Norfolk, VA)
- Annapolis, MD (45 minutes from Washington, DC, Baltimore)
- Kitty Hawk, NC
- Athens, GA (1 hour and 30 minutes from Atlanta)
- Gulf Shores, AL (3 hours from New Orleans)
- Myrtle Beach, SC
- Hilton Head Island, SC
- Moline, IL (2 hours and 45 minutes from Chicago)
- St. Cloud, MN (1 hour from Minneapolis)
- Columbia, MO (2 hours from St. Louis)
- Topeka, KS (1 hour from Kansas City)
The West Coast/Western US
- John Martin Reservoir State Park (3 hours and 45 minutes from Denver)
- Lake Meade, NV (35 minutes from Las Vegas)
- Oxnard, CA (1 hour from Los Angeles)
- Fresno, CA (2 hours and 45 minutes from the Bay Area)
- Hood River, OR (1 hour from Portland)
- Yakima, WA (2 hours from Seattle)
With such short notice, Monday night’s meteor shower might be the perfect time to rediscover the great American past time of road tripping. This isn’t a once in a lifetime event, however, if you live in a region of the country with optimal viewing conditions, it may be worth a drive to a smaller city near your hometown.
For more information on Monday’s astronomical event, visit the American Meteor Society’s website.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image of a meteor shower in the UK by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.