How to Catch a Glimpse of Monday Night’s Meteor Shower
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Two dueling meteor showers will peak Monday night, giving much of the United States the chance to see up to 25 meteors per hour streak across the night sky. However, some regions of the US will offer far better views of the spectacular astronomical event. Here’s where you’ll want to be to catch Monday night and Tuesday morning’s meteor shower.
When to Catch the Meteor Shower
The meteor shower will be most visible from dusk on Monday night with peak viewing lasting through dawn on Tuesday morning.
Where to Have the Best Views of the Meteor Shower
Skygazers will need to consider a number of factors to enjoy optimal viewing conditions of the meteor shower. The most important is cloud cover. Check your local weather for viewability. Second, if you live in a large city with substantial light pollution, you’ll want to make your way to somewhere more remote. Here are the best cities to catch Monday’s astronomical event.
- Cape May, NJ (1 hour and 45 minutes from Philadelphia)
- Hudson, NY (2 hours and 30 minutes from New York City)
- Cape Cod, MA (1 hour and 30 minutes from Boston)
- Virginia Beach, VA (30 minutes from Norfolk, VA)
- Annapolis, MD (45 minutes from Washington, DC, Baltimore)
- Kitty Hawk, NC
- Athens, GA (1 hour and 30 minutes from Atlanta)
- Gulf Shores, AL (3 hours from New Orleans)
- Myrtle Beach, SC
- Hilton Head Island, SC
- Moline, IL (2 hours and 45 minutes from Chicago)
- St. Cloud, MN (1 hour from Minneapolis)
- Columbia, MO (2 hours from St. Louis)
- Topeka, KS (1 hour from Kansas City)
The West Coast/Western US
- John Martin Reservoir State Park (3 hours and 45 minutes from Denver)
- Lake Meade, NV (35 minutes from Las Vegas)
- Oxnard, CA (1 hour from Los Angeles)
- Fresno, CA (2 hours and 45 minutes from the Bay Area)
- Hood River, OR (1 hour from Portland)
- Yakima, WA (2 hours from Seattle)
With such short notice, Monday night’s meteor shower might be the perfect time to rediscover the great American past time of road tripping. This isn’t a once in a lifetime event, however, if you live in a region of the country with optimal viewing conditions, it may be worth a drive to a smaller city near your hometown.
For more information on Monday’s astronomical event, visit the American Meteor Society’s website.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image of a meteor shower in the UK by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees