The latest eco-friendly hotel trend: Going beef-free to help save the Amazon
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It seems that with each day that goes by, more and more companies are making changes to the way they do business in order to reduce their impact on the environment.
One hotel in the nation’s capital has decided to contribute to the well-being of the planet by taking select meat items off its menus. The Eaton DC has said that during the months of September and October 2019 no beef will be served in the hotel, as part of a goal to raise $40,000 for Amazon Watch, a nonprofit dedicated to protecting and preserving the Amazon and its communities.
While no beef will be served, carnivores won’t need to look elsewhere, as the hotel will be serving Impossible burgers — a plant-based beef substitute — through the end of the year.
This hotel’s action is part of a larger trend that we’ve seen in the travel industry. Brands are examining ways in which they can lessen their footprint on the planet. Airlines and hotels have taken steps to reduce single-use plastic on airplanes and in hotels, and hotel chains have begun offering bonus points to guests who forego excessive room cleanings.
More recently, many hotels have begun taking out individual mini bottles of shampoo, conditioner and body wash and replacing them with larger bottles that remain in the bathroom. New York state is even considering banning the use of these individual bottles outright.
Featured photo by ROBYN BECK / Contributor via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees