The latest eco-friendly hotel trend: Going beef-free to help save the Amazon
It seems that with each day that goes by, more and more companies are making changes to the way they do business in order to reduce their impact on the environment.
One hotel in the nation’s capital has decided to contribute to the well-being of the planet by taking select meat items off its menus. The Eaton DC has said that during the months of September and October 2019 no beef will be served in the hotel, as part of a goal to raise $40,000 for Amazon Watch, a nonprofit dedicated to protecting and preserving the Amazon and its communities.
While no beef will be served, carnivores won’t need to look elsewhere, as the hotel will be serving Impossible burgers — a plant-based beef substitute — through the end of the year.
This hotel’s action is part of a larger trend that we’ve seen in the travel industry. Brands are examining ways in which they can lessen their footprint on the planet. Airlines and hotels have taken steps to reduce single-use plastic on airplanes and in hotels, and hotel chains have begun offering bonus points to guests who forego excessive room cleanings.
More recently, many hotels have begun taking out individual mini bottles of shampoo, conditioner and body wash and replacing them with larger bottles that remain in the bathroom. New York state is even considering banning the use of these individual bottles outright.
Featured photo by ROBYN BECK / Contributor via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.