No Passport Required: McDonald’s Is Bringing Its Best International Menu Items to the US
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Are you one of those people who eats at McDonald’s around the world when traveling (or at least stops in for an ice-filled drink, free Wi-Fi and a bathroom)?
We won’t judge. The truth is, some of the menu items at overseas Golden Arches are simply better than what you can get in in the US. But the downside has always been that if you got a sudden craving for that McDonald’s Stoopwafel McFlurry you had in the Netherlands on your vacation, you had to either book a transatlantic flight or suffer hongergevoel in silence.
But now there’s hope. According to leaked documents obtained by Business Insider, the fast-food chain is introducing some of its most beloved international items to the United States.
So put away your passport and get out your stretchy pants. Your favorite international McDonald’s food may be coming to America.
The leaked list of international McDonald’s goodies headed this way includes the Grand McExtreme Bacon Burger from Spain — which includes McBacon sauce and even more bacon, making it McExtreme McIndeed. Our Canadian neighbors will be coming through with their tomato mozzarella chicken sandwich. Australia, which has already blessed us with both Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter and Hugh Jackman, is topping off its generosity with cheesy bacon fries.
And, last not but not least, that amazing Stroopwafel McFlurry from the Netherlands? Yes, it’s coming here too.
We love a good stroopwafel here in the TPG office, and the Mickey D’s concoction comes with bits of the delightful Dutch cookie set in a McFlurry with vanilla soft serve and caramel sauce. (It’s safe to say many of us in New York will be getting our hands on that one too.)
You can expect all four worldwide favorites to be added to American menus in early June.
The new menu items are the finalists of a test run in 50 restaurants in South Florida last fall. Items that didn’t make the cut include Hong Kong McSpicy Chicken and Malaysian BBQ McShaker fries. Come on, Florida, you had one job.
Though there’s now no need to hop on that daylong flight across the world for those cheesy bacon fries, be sure to buy your McItems with a credit card that gets you bonus points for dining purchases so you’re that much closer to your next real international adventure. Our top picks include the American Express® Gold Card (4x points on dining at restaurants) and the Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x points on dining), both of which charge no foreign-transaction fees (Amex Gold rates & fees).
Featured image courtesy of McDonald’s.
For rates and fees of the Amex Gold Card, click here.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 per calendar year; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com.
- Rose Gold is back. You can now choose between Gold or Rose Gold.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points on Restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery, plus, earn 4X points for Uber Eats purchases too.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- $120 Uber Cash: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees