100,000 points: How to maximize the Amex Platinum welcome offer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with new information.
For those considering adding the Platinum to their wallet, you might want to also pay attention to another major facet of the card: its welcome offer.
In this guide, let’s walk through how new applicants can make the most of the card’s current introductory offer.
Want more credit card news and advice from TPG? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Current Amex Platinum offer
Currently, there’s a 100,000-point welcome offer after you spend $6,000 in the first six months of card membership.
TPG values Membership Rewards points at 2 cents each, making this welcome offer worth $2,000.
That is nearly three times the card’s $695 annual fee, so at the very least, you can justify carrying the Amex Platinum for the first couple of years of card membership — even before considering the ongoing perks of the card (more on that below).
While this is still a generous offer worth considering, we’ve historically seen American Express offer these same 100,000 points — plus the potential to earn more.
In the past, new applicants of the Amex Platinum could also earn 10 Membership Rewards points per dollar on up to $25,000 spent on a couple of common purchase categories during the first six months of card membership. This 10x multiplier was recently for restaurants worldwide and when you “Shop Small” in the U.S., while we’ve seen U.S. gas stations and U.S. supermarkets in previous years.
If you were able to maximize this $25,000 spending threshold, that could mean an additional 250,000 points — which helped make this one of the best welcome offers we’ve seen on the Amex Platinum.
How to maximize this welcome offer
Admittedly, this 10x multiplier requires a lot of spending to fully maximize its potential.
While Amex no longer offers this 10x multiplier for new applicants, you may still be able to find a higher welcome offer — if you know where to look.
One of the best places to search for targeted offers is the CardMatch tool, which screens any potential bonuses you may be eligible for that may be higher than what is publicly offered by issuers. Best of all, the CardMatch tool won’t affect your credit score since it is only performing a soft pull on your credit report.
That said, you may be able to find higher introductory offers of the Amex Platinum with 125,000 or 150,000 points — with the same amount of required spending — just by going through this additional step. These extra points are worth $500 or $1,000, respectively. (Offers subject to change at anytime).
Amex Platinum perks
The Amex Platinum now has a $695 annual fee, undoubtedly leading to some sticker shock. But when you dive into its mile-long list of benefits, it’s easy to see how you can recoup that value.
From the annual credits alone, you’re looking at more than $1,400 in value. So, if you can put many of these to use, the Amex Platinum could be worth a place in your wallet — even with a high annual fee.
- Up to a $300 annual Equinox credit, in the form of $25 in monthly statement credits on eligible Equinox memberships or the Equinox+ app.*
- Up to a $300 annual SoulCycle credit when purchasing an at-home bike — on up to 15 bikes per year.*
- Up to a $240 annual digital entertainment credit, in the form of $20 in monthly statement credits when you pay for eligible purchases with the Amex Platinum on one or more of the following: Audible, Disney+, ESPN+, Hulu, Peacock. Sirius XM, and The New York Times. *
- Up to a $200 annual hotel credit, in the form of a statement credit on prepaid Amex Fine Hotels + Resorts or The Hotel Collection bookings with Amex Travel when you pay with your Amex Platinum and requires a minimum two-night stay.*
- Up to $200 in statement credits annually for incidental fees charged by one airline you select.*
- Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber Cash for U.S. rides, split into monthly $15 credits plus a $20 bonus in December.*
- Up to a $189 annual Clear credit to cover your annual membership.*
- Up to a $155 annual Walmart+ credit that covers your monthly Walmart+ membership. Plus Ups are excluded.*
- Up to a $100 statement credit for Global Entry every four years or an $85 credit for TSA PreCheck every 4 1/2 years (depending on which application fee is charged to your card first).
- Up to a $100 Saks credit, split into two $50 statement credits from January through June and from July through December.*
- Access to the American Express Global Lounge Collection, including Centurion Lounges, Priority Pass lounges, Airspace lounges, Escape lounges and Delta Sky Clubs (when traveling on same-day Delta flights).*
- Complimentary Gold status with Hilton Honors and Marriott Bonvoy.*
- Complimentary memberships in Hertz Gold Plus Rewards, Avis Preferred and National Car Rental Emerald Club Executive.*
- Access to Amex Fine Hotels + Resorts and The Hotel Collection.
- If your trip is delayed by more than six hours because of a covered reason, you may be eligible to be reimbursed up to $500 per covered trip for reasonable additional expenses, up to two claims per 12 consecutive month period. Underwritten by New Hampshire Insurance Company, an AIG Company.**
- If you need to cancel or interrupt your trip because of a covered reason, you may be eligible for a maximum reimbursement of up to $10,000 per covered trip and $20,000 per eligible card per 12 consecutive month period. Underwritten by New Hampshire Insurance Company, an AIG Company.**
- Extended warranty benefit extends eligible manufacturer’s warranties of five years or less by up to one additional year. Coverage is up to the actual amount charged to your card for the item up to a maximum of $10,000; not to exceed $50,000 per card member account per calendar year. Underwritten by AMEX Assurance Company.**
- Purchase protection protects recent purchases against theft, accidental damage or loss for up to 90 days from the covered purchase date. The coverage is limited up to $10,000 per occurrence, up to $50,000 per card member account per calendar year. Underwritten by AMEX Assurance Company.**
- Return protection on eligible items within 90 days from the purchase date if the merchant won’t take the item back. American Express may refund the full purchase price excluding shipping and handling, up to $300 per item, up to a maximum of $1,000 per calendar year per card account, if you purchased it entirely with your eligible Amex card. Purchases must be made in the U.S. or its territories.**
* Enrollment is required for select benefits.
**Eligibility and benefit level varies by card. Terms, conditions and limitations apply. Please visit americanexpress.com/benefitsguide for more details.
The Amex Platinum already has a ton of useful, premium travel perks and provides up to $1,400 in various statement credits throughout the year.
While the current welcome offer of 100,000 points presents a ton of value for new cardholders, don’t forget to check the CardMatch tool for the potential of a better payday.
Apply here for the Amex Platinum.
Additional reporting by Stella Shon.
Featured photo by Isabelle Raphael for The Points Guy.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum Card, click here.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.