Mastercard Will Donate to Cancer Charity When You Dine out This Wednesday
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Mastercard has partnered with Stand Up to Cancer to raise money for cancer research. The card company will donate $1 to the charity on Wednesday when you use your Mastercard-branded credit card to purchase at least $10 worth of food at qualifying restaurants.
Mastercard says it will donate up to $4 million to Stand Up to Cancer, a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization and a division of the Entertainment Industry Foundation (EIF). Charity Navigator, which assesses the financial health, accountability and transparency of US charities, gives EIF a rating of four out of four stars.
The promotion runs from 12am ET through 11:59pm PT on Wednesday, Oct. 10, or when the $4 million donation goal is reached, whichever comes first. Debit PIN transactions and transactions using non-US cards are not eligible. Qualifying restaurants are defined by the applicable merchant category code, which means much of what you probably think of as a restaurant would qualify.
The partnership, now in its 10th year, has raised millions of dollars for cancer research. Mastercard says it has donated more than $41 million to Stand Up to Cancer to date.
Of course, you may want to bring your favorite Mastercard-branded credit card that offers dining rewards so you can benefit while also being charitable. Here are a few good picks:
Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card — Earn an unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases. Capital One says qualifying purchases include those at restaurants, cafes, bars, lounges, fast-food chains and bakeries. The information for the Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Citi Premier® Card — Earn 3x ThankYou points on travel, 2x points on dining and entertainment purchases and 1x on all other purchases. Citi says qualifying purchases include those at restaurants, cafes, bars, lounges and fast food restaurants. Each dollar spent on dining is worth 3.4 cents, according to TPG’s latest valuations.
Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard — Earn 2x miles at restaurants and gas stations and on American Airlines purchases and 1x miles on all other spend. Qualifying purchases include those at restaurants, cafes, bars, lounges and fast food restaurants. Each dollar spent on dining is worth 2.8 cents, based on TPG’s valuations. The information for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard — Earn 2x miles on all purchases, giving you a 2% return on dining (and other spending). But, thanks to the card’s 5% rebate on redeemed miles, cardholders effectively get a 2.1% return on their purchases.
Featured image via Michael Berman / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees