Mastercard Will Donate to Cancer Charity When You Dine out This Wednesday
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Mastercard has partnered with Stand Up to Cancer to raise money for cancer research. The card company will donate $1 to the charity on Wednesday when you use your Mastercard-branded credit card to purchase at least $10 worth of food at qualifying restaurants.
Mastercard says it will donate up to $4 million to Stand Up to Cancer, a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization and a division of the Entertainment Industry Foundation (EIF). Charity Navigator, which assesses the financial health, accountability and transparency of US charities, gives EIF a rating of four out of four stars.
The promotion runs from 12am ET through 11:59pm PT on Wednesday, Oct. 10, or when the $4 million donation goal is reached, whichever comes first. Debit PIN transactions and transactions using non-US cards are not eligible. Qualifying restaurants are defined by the applicable merchant category code, which means much of what you probably think of as a restaurant would qualify.
The partnership, now in its 10th year, has raised millions of dollars for cancer research. Mastercard says it has donated more than $41 million to Stand Up to Cancer to date.
Of course, you may want to bring your favorite Mastercard-branded credit card that offers dining rewards so you can benefit while also being charitable. Here are a few good picks:
Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card — Earn an unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases. Capital One says qualifying purchases include those at restaurants, cafes, bars, lounges, fast-food chains and bakeries. The information for the Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Citi Premier® Card — Earn 3x ThankYou points on travel, 2x points on dining and entertainment purchases and 1x on all other purchases. Citi says qualifying purchases include those at restaurants, cafes, bars, lounges and fast food restaurants. Each dollar spent on dining is worth 3.4 cents, according to TPG’s latest valuations.
Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard — Earn 2x miles at restaurants and gas stations and on American Airlines purchases and 1x miles on all other spend. Qualifying purchases include those at restaurants, cafes, bars, lounges and fast food restaurants. Each dollar spent on dining is worth 2.8 cents, based on TPG’s valuations. The information for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard — Earn 2x miles on all purchases, giving you a 2% return on dining (and other spending). But, thanks to the card’s 5% rebate on redeemed miles, cardholders effectively get a 2.1% return on their purchases.
Featured image via Michael Berman / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.