This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Well, we can’t say we didn’t see this one coming — as promised and reiterated a handful of times over the past few days and weeks, Marriott has begun to take its loyalty program and booking platforms offline for Saturday’s scheduled program merger.
The SPG.com website currently shows a splash page indicating that there is an “Upgrade in progress,” and neither cash nor points bookings are available.
Expect the chain’s various websites and apps to be unavailable off and on throughout the day, with call center agents unable to access their systems intermittently as well. According to a report published on Frequent Miler, paid bookings may be available again as early as 9:30am Eastern Time, with awards back online beginning at 2:00pm, though that’s of course subject to change.
Since booking your next Marriott hotel stay is currently out of the question, I’d like to suggest some TPG-themed alternatives to keep you busy on this otherwise ordinary summer Saturday. Perhaps you’d like to…
- Narrow down your list of Marriott hotels to book once the sites are back online
- Catch up on the latest non-Marriott news
- Read some of our fine economy, business and first-class reviews
- Join Mommy Points and explore the ins and outs of family travel
- Peruse some of the latest paid and award flight deals
- Click through our library of thrilling travel-related video content
Otherwise, let’s all sit tight together, and get excited about all the great perks and redemptions to come. We’ll let you know when things are back up and running.
Feature photo by Shutterstock.com
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees