Marriott reportedly sending downgrade emails to elites
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
If you have Marriott elite status and think you may not keep it next year, you may want to check your email. That’s because Marriott is reportedly sending status holders emails stating that they may not qualify for elite status for next year, according to One Mile At a Time.
However, some elites are being given a “soft landing,” including TPG himself Brian Kelly. That’s when travelers have reached top- or mid-tier elite status but don’t requalify for the following year. Instead of dropping their elite status altogether, they are simply bumped down to a lower tier.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
If you currently hold (or plan to earn) elite status in Marriott’s program, you can expect a number of perks across the various brands that fall under the Marriott umbrella. But what happens if you fall short (or think you might) of reaching status? Now is the time to figure out whether you will get (or keep) status for next year.
If you’re aiming to requalify for a higher tier status, then you may want to consider a mattress run. For the uninitiated, a mattress run is when you stay in a hotel solely to earn points or elite night/stay credits. These hotel stays are the hotel equivalent of mileage runs that travelers do to maintain airline elite status.
While Gold status requires 25 nights, there are also a number of credit cards that either include this status or allow you to earn it, so if you have one of these cards you’ll at least keep complimentary status:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express provides automatic Gold Elite status (enrollment required).
- The Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card provides automatic Gold Elite status.
- The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card (no longer open to new applicants) provides automatic Gold Elite status.
- The Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card comes with Silver Elite status and allows you to earn Gold Elite status when you spend $35,000 on purchases each account year.
- The Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card provides Silver Elite status and allows you to earn Gold Elite status when you spend $35,000 on purchases each account year.
- The Marriott Premier Plus Business Credit Card (no longer accepting applications) allows you to earn Gold Elite status when you spend $35,000 on purchases each account year.
If you’re aiming to get or requalify for a higher elite status such as Platinum Elite, that requires 50 nights. You also have a few ways to earn this status through credit cards by spending $75,000 in a year on the now-discontinued Ritz-Carlton Rewards Card or by spending $75,000 in a calendar year on the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card. Titanium Elite status is typically earned after 75 nights while Ambassador Elite requires 100 elite-qualifying nights and $20,000 in qualifying spend.
Featured photo courtesy of JW Marriott Grande Lakes Orlando.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees