Get 2,000 Marriott Bonvoy points with new promotion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card
Marriott announced a new end of the year “Unlock More” promotion, where you can score bonus points after two qualifying stays.
Here’s what you need to know.
You’ll earn 2,000 Marriott Bonvoy points after two qualifying stays at properties in the Marriott portfolio. You must register by December 31 and stay between October 29 and January 14, 2020.
Two to three days after your second qualifying stay has been posted to your Marriott Bonvoy account, you’ll unlock a new offer. Marriott doesn’t specify what that offer might be. The offer will appear on your account, but you’ll also receive an email with details. Marriott says more than 7,000 participating hotels and resorts worldwide are included in the promotion.
This is an easy way to earn bonus points, but it’s not a particularly good promotion. We’ve seen better offers from Marriott, such as targeted offers for bonus points earlier this summer on paid stays that included a weekend night.
We’ve seen even better offers from Hyatt, which is currently offering 3x points on some stays and a $50 statement credit for World of Hyatt cardholders, and Hilton, which is running a promotion on 2x base points through the beginning of 2020.
Marriott points are worth 0.8 cents each, according to TPG’s latest valuations, making this promotion worth a paltry $16. That said, if you’re just short of points needed for an award redemption then this promotion could come in handy.
If you’re looking for a better way to earn Bonvoy points, you may want to consider adding a Marriott card to your wallet. The Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card and the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card from Chase are offering new applicants the ability to earn 75,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
If you have paid Marriott stays lined up, then it doesn’t hurt to sign up for this promotion. Otherwise, given the multitude of better promotions from competitors such as Hyatt and Hilton, I wouldn’t go out of my way for this promotion.
Featured image courtesy of Marriott
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee