Marriott Points Advance Is Here to Stay, Will Soon Expand to SPG Hotels
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On April 16, Marriott shared many key details of its new combined loyalty program, incorporating elements of both Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest. Many of our most pressing questions were addressed at that time, but a few still remain, including the fate of Marriott’s entirely useful Points Advance feature. Long story short, it isn’t going anywhere this August.
Points Advance allows Marriott Rewards members to book an award stay without yet having the necessary number of points in their account. So if your planned stay requires 100,000 points but you only have 10,000 in your account, you can still confirm an award.
You’ll then have until 14 days prior to check-in to achieve the required balance, either by purchasing points, earning from stays or credit card transactions or transferring in from a partner, such as Chase Ultimate Rewards. If you don’t have enough points accrued by that time, your reservation may be canceled — even if it isn’t, you’ll need to have the correct number before your stay.
According to Marriott, Points Advance is sticking around, and it’ll even be expanded to SPG hotels:
Points Advance will continue to be available at brands participating in Marriott Rewards leading up to and after the August transition. As SPG brands convert to the Marriott technology platform beginning in August, Points Advance will become available to members at those brands as well.
This is great news — you’ll soon be able to book stays at thousands more properties, and then work to build up your balance to cover the trip. It also presents an opportunity to lock in current rates at properties that are expected to jump once the new chart kicks in this August — get booking!
The Points Guy has comprehensive coverage of Marriott’s new loyalty program — read all our stories at “The New Marriott.”
Featured photo courtesy Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort and Spa, Crete
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.