This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On April 16, Marriott shared many key details of its new combined loyalty program, incorporating elements of both Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest. Many of our most pressing questions were addressed at that time, but a few still remain, including the fate of Marriott’s entirely useful Points Advance feature. Long story short, it isn’t going anywhere this August.
Points Advance allows Marriott Rewards members to book an award stay without yet having the necessary number of points in their account. So if your planned stay requires 100,000 points but you only have 10,000 in your account, you can still confirm an award.
You’ll then have until 14 days prior to check-in to achieve the required balance, either by purchasing points, earning from stays or credit card transactions or transferring in from a partner, such as Chase Ultimate Rewards. If you don’t have enough points accrued by that time, your reservation may be canceled — even if it isn’t, you’ll need to have the correct number before your stay.
According to Marriott, Points Advance is sticking around, and it’ll even be expanded to SPG hotels:
Points Advance will continue to be available at brands participating in Marriott Rewards leading up to and after the August transition. As SPG brands convert to the Marriott technology platform beginning in August, Points Advance will become available to members at those brands as well.
This is great news — you’ll soon be able to book stays at thousands more properties, and then work to build up your balance to cover the trip. It also presents an opportunity to lock in current rates at properties that are expected to jump once the new chart kicks in this August — get booking!
The Points Guy has comprehensive coverage of Marriott’s new loyalty program — read all our stories at “The New Marriott.”
Featured photo courtesy Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort and Spa, Crete
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees