Marriott Accidentally Sends Out Emails to Users Who Shared Points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve shared points with friends or family members in the last year, you may have received an oddly-worded email from Marriott this week. But don’t worry — your account hasn’t been hacked.
The chain has apparently emailed members who shared points with others at some point between August of last year and now, which left some users thinking that additional transfers had been made on their accounts.
TPG Loyalty & Engagement Editor Richard Kerr tweeted a screenshot of the email he received, which said that he shared 19,000 points. Kerr wrote on Twitter that the points were shared earlier this summer.
Marriott responded to the tweet with a tweet of its own, saying that the email was sent “in error.”
A TPG reader emailed with the same problem, writing, “Today, I received an email saying that my girlfriend had gifted me 100,000 Bonvoy points. She did in December (pre-Bonvoy) but definitely didn’t do it again today.”
The tip continued as follows:
“So I call Marriott, and they try to play it off as ‘a reminder about previous activity’, which is absurd, given that it’s not positioned that way. The email appears to have come from the official Marriott address.”
If you’re a Marriott Bonvoy member, you’re allowed to transfer up to 100,000 points per year. You’ll need to call Marriott’s customer service, but as TPG’s Ethan Steinberg wrote earlier this year, the points posted instantly when he transferred. Keep in mind that you have to transfer at least 1,000 points.
Bottom line: If you shared points earlier this year and received an email in the last few days, Marriott has confirmed that these messages were sent in error. However, if you want to be extra cautious, feel free to change your account password to prevent a future hacker from stealing your points.
Featured photo by JT Genter / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees